PDA

View Full Version : Don't want any more hangovers? Just add O2 to your brew!

capoeirista13
03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Supposedly Korean scientitsts have discovered that using oxygen to bubble up brews causes less or less severe hangovers. Read for yourselves.

http://io9.com/5481058/scientists-have-discovered-booze-that-wont-give-you-a-hangover

Angelic Alchemist
03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Iiinteresting!

Two questions to pose to the forum:

1. Do you think these drinks would be as effective in decreasing hangovers for people who are genetically predisposed to not manufacture acetaldehyde dehydrogenase? My inherent lack of that stupid enzyme is the reason I can't enjoy my own meads!

2. I thought O2 in meads and beers was a bad thing. Would force carbonation with O2 cause off flavors?

dr9
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
One of the comments:

The dissolved oxygen is going into the GI track, not the lungs. The stomach and intestines do not absorb oxygen - the membranes are not designed for the same gas exchange that takes place in the lungs. Therefore, it may be that the oxygen is inactivating some of the alcohol before it is absorbed. Perhaps through oxidation, although O2 is not a good oxidizer. Maybe there is some ozone (O3)? If this happens in the GI track, why can't it happen in the bottle? Were the blood alcohol levels immediately after drinking the same, or were they lower from the start after the hyper-oxygenated booze? If some oxygen is absorbed from the stoamch, can you get the same effect by sucking on oxygen from a tank or even a hyperbaric chamber?

As with most provocative news articles about science, I wish there was a link to more scientific information.

I don't believe hangovers exist, only dehydration and stressed endocrine system. Waffle House and water will cure it. Or, Bloody Mary. Or Oysters.

I do believe in alcohol poisoning.

Medsen Fey
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd like to read the full text of that study if anyone has access.

Oxygen might not harm a beverage that's already been oxidized - could be perfect for Meadeira! :)

Angelic Alchemist
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
One of the comments:

As with most provocative news articles about science, I wish there was a link to more scientific information.

I don't believe hangovers exist, only dehydration and stressed endocrine system. Waffle House and water will cure it. Or, Bloody Mary. Or Oysters.

I do believe in alcohol poisoning.

If memory serves me correctly, the sensation of "hangover" is caused by a trifecta: Dehydration, hypoglycemia and accumulation of acetaldehyde (a metabolite of alcohol) that causes a toxic effect in the body. The first two are easy to fix. The third can only be delayed (by that bloody mary) and the speed of detox is contingent on the individuals acetaldehyde dehydrogenase levels. Asians are notorious for having low levels of the enzyme, leading to cheap dates and really long, bad hangovers.

dr9
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm Scotch-Irish. I actually function better with acetaldehyde dehydrogenase pumping through my veins. Especially on the golf course. Even more so on a fishing boat.

Angelic Alchemist
03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm Scotch-Irish. I actually function better with acetaldehyde dehydrogenase pumping through my veins. Especially on the golf course. Even more so on a fishing boat.

I'm jealous. :angryfire:

Kee
03-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I'd like to read the full text of that study if anyone has access.

My tuition should be good for something, but, alas, I couldn't find mention of it in the library. It might be a little too new for my school. I think the data is pushed out monthly to quarterly. If someone else doesn't find it for you, remind me in a month and I'll do another search.

Medsen Fey
03-04-2010, 10:56 AM
It's in the Wiley InterScience database (http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123305743/abstract) but the university library here doesn't have the Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research journal subscribed. Perhaps I can get it through the medical library.

ZachR
03-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Found it :)

Wolfie
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Now theres the ticket--I want to get some of that acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. Fortifying my brews with that stuff = miracle mead!
I mean, you can get pectic enzyme protease and amylase pretty easily, theres got to be a stable form of this right?

**edit**

and here it is!! (http://www.calzyme.com/commerce/catalog/spcategory.jsp?category_id=1017)

wayneb
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know that it would last through the process of digestion. It only works after the initial oxidation and breakdown of ethanol starts occurring in your body, so it would have to get into the bloodstream undenatured.

But maybe there's a market for an IV form.... ;)

Angelic Alchemist
03-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Now theres the ticket--I want to get some of that acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. Fortifying my brews with that stuff = miracle mead!
I mean, you can get pectic enzyme protease and amylase pretty easily, theres got to be a stable form of this right?

**edit**

and here it is!! (http://www.calzyme.com/commerce/catalog/spcategory.jsp?category_id=1017)

I have been looking for a natural source of that enzyme for a long, long, LONG time!

Wayne, do you think an IM injection would work?

wayneb
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm not a doc, so I can't say. Wish I could help -- I've seen the effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency firsthand with some of my Japanese colleagues when I was out with them in Tokyo, who would, to preserve face, drink one-for-one with their unimpaired professional colleagues, and then promptly run to the back door to puke their guts out. Then they'd come back, and drink some more.

I'm sorry you have to put up with the problem.

Angelic Alchemist
03-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm not a doc, so I can't say. Wish I could help -- I've seen the effects of aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency firsthand with some of my Japanese colleagues when I was out with them in Tokyo, who would, to preserve face, drink one-for-one with their unimpaired professional colleagues, and then promptly run to the back door to puke their guts out. Then they'd come back, and drink some more.

I'm sorry you have to put up with the problem.

Fair enough. I wouldn't try injecting the stuff without being under the care of a physician. Still, it would be very interesting to look into the topic.

Wolfie
03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
I just noticed another flaw in said "brilliant" "plan"--

Stability: Store at -20 C (-4 F)

that kind of rules out injection--it must start breaking down quite fast before it would be at an injectable body temperature. I was kind of thinking of a pill that you take before you start drinking? Or when you get home?

This stuff has to occur elsewhere in nature, the company says that theirs is sourced from bakers yeast.

Angelic Alchemist
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
that kind of rules out injection--it must start breaking down quite fast before it would be at an injectable body temperature. I was kind of thinking of a pill that you take before you start drinking? Or when you get home?

This stuff has to occur elsewhere in nature, the company says that theirs is sourced from bakers yeast.

I think we'd need the counsel of a degreed microbiologist to answer these questions. :confused: