PDA

View Full Version : Quick sediment in secondary?

Ceol
03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I racked a batch of dried elderberry mead into a secondary carboy about 24 hours ago, and I've already got a layer of sediment about a quarter inch thick in my secondary. I do also have a little tiny bit of fermenting going on, as evidenced by a few visible bubbles in the mead, some spots of foam on the surface, and a bit of airlock activity. The SG was 1.030 when I racked it, and had slowed dramatically but not yet stopped (so the fermenting doesn't surprise me).

I'm wondering if I should rack again soon, or let it go a while and start clearing first (it's currently totally opaque).

My recipe was 2oz of dried elderberries, 10lb of clover honey, filled to 3 gallons with water, and 2 packets of 71B yeast, plus just under 3 tsp of Fermax staggered through the first half of the primary fermentation. The whole fermentation has been done at 70-72 degrees F. I've read that 71B shouldn't stay on its lees long, but haven't found any detail on how long is too long.

Medsen Fey
03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry to rack again. You aren't going to have a great deal of fruit particulate matter in there as you were only using 2 oz of dried berries. When making batches with large amounts of fruit, I prefer to the rack it a second time to eliminate the gross lees within 24-48 hours.