• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Correct fermenting temp

Barrel Char Wood Products

Earthson

NewBee
Registered Member
I'm wondering about safe temps for fermenting my mead. (This is my first batch). I'm using Wyeast Sweet Mead 4184. The info page @ Wyeast says that it's Temperature Range is 65-75°F, 18-24°C.

Currently I have it in the primary in my living room @ 21C. But, I'm hoping to move it to my basement once it is in the secondary - my wife is growing bitter about all the new brewing equipment all over the house ;D. Anyway, the basement is sitting at 15C, 60F. I'm wondering if the yeast will still function at that temp, or if it'll just stop. Is that range just a suggested temp for BEST performance?

And then I'm planning on doing all future batches entirely in the basement - do you see any troubles with that?

Thanks for any advice.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I've never used that particular strain, but I'll guess that it won't totally stop at 60 F. It will definitely slow down, however.

One thing you could do is wrap it in some towels. Fermentation generates heat so the towels will keep it warmer than the surrounding air. Don't forget the bottom of the container!

Oh, and for future batches, I'd say stick with the cool temps (I love hugging 60 F when I can) and get yeast that does well there. Many do. I have used D-47, D254, R2, RC-212, BA-11, and several ale yeasts at that temperature with fine results.

Last edited:

MediaevalQuendi

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 8, 2010
Diamond Bar, CA
As inexperienced as I am, I would also chime in and say that 60F/15C is probably not cold enough to knock the yeast dormant, though it may stall the fermention or produce off characteristics. I'm saying this from a little experience, not much. ;)

I also agree with finding a yeast that does well at low temps, and rockin' the basement temps. You'll enjoy the aromas from the fermentation. :)

Okay, I crawl back into my hole...

Earthson

NewBee
Registered Member
Yes, I think I will go with another yeast next time. I've just used the Wyeast with my beer and I think they are phenomenal! But, I'll have to experiment a bit with the mead yeast strains. I think some are happy down as low as 50F, so that would be ideal. And, I've heard through this website that you do get a nicer mead if you can keep the temp a little cooler during the fermentation.

Thanks everyone :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
In most cases cooler temp = better results and typically I'd agree that moving it the basement would be fine, but that Wyeast sweet mead yeast is notoriously problematic. It stalls frequently and has frustrated more new mead makers than any other strain. It is pH and nutrient sensitive and needs to be babied. I wouldn't move it to the basement. If it is working okay where it is, I'd leave it be.

And Welcome to GotMead!

Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns