PDA

View Full Version : In search of a good recipe

ibwahooka
03-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone,
My wife and I were recently talking and we decided that we are going to brew a mead for my daughter so that when she is either going to be married or graduate college we can bottle and drink the mead. So I'm in search of a recipe.
I'm going all out on this one. I'm going to age it (13+ years) in an oak barrel and everything, so I'm really looking for some good suggestions. If everyone could chime in and offer some ideas I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Shawn

wayneb
03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
IMHO, sweet meads in the Polish Poltorak or Dwojniak styles do very well with extended aging on oak and they tend to hold up well in the bottle, too, since a little bit of oxidation in any mead that sweet adds nice raisiny sherry-like overtones and actually makes them more drinkable than when young. You'll find several good recipes here in the forum if you poke around a bit.

ibwahooka
03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
IMHO, sweet meads in the Polish Poltorak or Dwojniak styles do very well with extended aging on oak and they tend to hold up well in the bottle, too, since a little bit of oxidation in any mead that sweet adds nice raisiny sherry-like overtones and actually makes them more drinkable than when young. You'll find several good recipes here in the forum if you poke around a bit.

I've never heard of those, but looking around on the boards it seems that recipes are few and far between. I will have to do some more research on this interesting type of mead.

akueck
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I think most of the Polish-style recipes are "locked away" in the Patron section.

ibwahooka
03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I think most of the Polish-style recipes are "locked away" in the Patron section.

Well, I guess I will have to become a patron then. My wife might not like that. :)

wildaho
03-27-2010, 02:00 AM
Well, I guess I will have to become a patron then. My wife might not like that. :)
She may not at first, but within a year or two (short aging time), she will!