PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Beans

Wild Duk
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
I picked up a pack a and would like to know how much to use and for how long to spice a Pumplin Mead that I made a few months ago.
I know that too much vanilla can be overpowering....

Thanks

Medsen Fey
03-22-2010, 09:06 AM
How about providing some details about the batch, starting with its size?

Wild Duk
03-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Yea, good point.
Its a 1 gallon batch, Made with about 3 # of honey, fermented with canned pumpkin, clove, nutmeg and ginger. I stared it on 12/4 with an S.G. of 1.090.
I've racked it only once...
I don't mind aging this one out for a year, so time is not an issue.

This is only my 2nd mead to date....

Thanks

Matrix4b
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
If you have whole beans for one gallon I would not go more than 1 vanilla bean split and opened up a bit but not scrapped. I probably put in it for 1 month. But don't go over 3 months on the vanilla bean. I have a Orange Creamcicle (orange vanilla mead) going on 2 vanilla beans for 3 months and it is a gallon batch. The vanilla came through very well and not overpoweringly because of the orange juice concentrate I put in it. I also did a vanilla almond mead that turned out too sweet for people. I used 6 vanilla beans on it and it was a 5 gallon batch, beans were on it for a month. If I did the vanilla mead again I would use only 5 or 4 beans for the 5 gallon batch. Just to give you perspective. Now I racked onto the beans in the secondary to give allow the freshly created alcohol something to extract. I dont think that vanilla in the primary would be all that successful. Actually with your pumpkin mix I would actually go 1/2 a vanilla bean, say 3-4 inches worth and then feel free to leave it for a few months.

Hope it turns out well.

Angelic Alchemist
03-24-2010, 03:41 PM
I did a 1gal vanilla cinnamon cyser with one vanilla bean, split and scraped (put the whole thing in there) - contact time was 5 days and it came through beautifully with no off flavors.

Brad Dahlhofer
03-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I subscribe to the 1 bean per gallon idea. Also, keep in mind that different types of vanilla beans have different flavors. Try doing a blend of Madagascar and Mexican for some good complexity. One is sweet and one is earthy. Can't remember which right now. Had a few meads. ;-p

wildoates
03-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I subscribe to the 1 bean per gallon idea. Also, keep in mind that different types of vanilla beans have different flavors. Try doing a blend of Madagascar and Mexican for some good complexity. One is sweet and one is earthy. Can't remember which right now. Had a few meads. ;-p

Don't tell me you're drinking up the profits?! :)

Angelic Alchemist
03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I did forget to mention that the vanilla bean I used was West Indian (aka Tahitian). These beans tend to be lighter, less musky and more sweet/floral than their cousins. If I were to use Mexican vanilla, I might half the quanitity unless I wanted the aroma to be very pronounced.

Brad Dahlhofer
03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Don't tell me you're drinking up the profits?! :)

Profits? What are those?