PDA

View Full Version : Mead in Scandinavia

Metal Fireworks
03-23-2010, 02:48 PM
I am taking off for a two week excursion of Scandinavia pretty soon here and was wondering if anyone had advice or suggestions about mead to sample in that part of the world or if there are any meaderies or breweries that would be good places to check out. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!

Smarrikåka
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Where are you going exactly?

If you go to Stockholm the must-place to visit is a medieval restaurant called "Sjätte Tunnan" in old town. Close to Arlanda (the airport) there is a brewhouse called Sigtuna Brygghus, and they do make a mead, but not in any great amount.

wayneb
03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Yow! It is expensive to eat (and drink) there (Sjätte Tunnan)!! I just looked at their website and their menu. Interestingly, with the exception of their house brand of mead, they feature stuff that is either produced here in North America or in Poland. ;D

Smarrikåka
03-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Yow! It is expensive to eat (and drink) there (Sjätte Tunnan)!! I just looked at their website and their menu. Interestingly, with the exception of their house brand of mead, they feature stuff that is either produced here in North America or in Poland. ;D

Alcohol is expensive around here, as are centrally located restaurants. Their own house brand is a braggot, the rest of the stuff they buy through my company :)

wildoates
03-23-2010, 08:13 PM

That strikes me as ironically hilarious!

I hope to be in Norway this summer to see the boy and his lovely young lady, but I'll be on such a shoestring budget I definitely will not be sampling anything even remotely expensive (as everything is there!).

Metal Fireworks
03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will actually be in Stockholm, Gotenburg, then over to Copenhagen, and finally up to Oslo and Bergen. I heard it's quite chilly there right now (75 f now in Los Angeles) Don't remind me about the prices of things there, because I will be trying to do it on the cheap also. I know I will come across something tasty (and reasonable) so thank you again for the suggestions. By the way, have you heard of a place called Den Gyldene Freden? Supposedly it's one of the oldest restaurants in Stockholm...

Smarrikåka
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
By the way, have you heard of a place called Den Gyldene Freden? Supposedly it's one of the oldest restaurants in Stockholm...

I've never been there, but I've heard about it. It's famous because it has some form of relation with Bellman (a Swedish trobaduer/song writer from the 1700s).

I'm not sure if there's anything mead related to see nearby Copenhagen/Oslo/Bergen.

There's supposed to be one Norwegian mead called Suttung's mjöd, but I have no idea who the producer is. The Danish producer making the fortified Danish meads, should be in Billund (where Legoland is).