PDA

View Full Version : Mazer Cup International 2010 - The Results are in!

Medsen Fey
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
There is white smoke rising from Boulder and I saw the results are in for the Home competition.

Home Mead Makers Results (http://www.mazercup.com/mcih_2010_results.htm)

Big congratulations to all the winners!
And a big thanks to all the people taking the time and energy to make this competition a reality! We appreciate having such an excellent competition.

Our own Wayneb gets big thumbs up for his Filleule de la Nuit* which took 1st place in the berry melomel category and was honorable mention in the best of show competition. He also took second place in the braggot category with his Braggot-docio.* :icon_thumright:

I was thrilled that the Figmead of my imagination* took a 3rd place in other fruit melomels.

I know there are other GotMeaders with some good results as well. So please step up and receive some well earned pats on the back. :icon_salut:

Medsen

* Brewlogs with recipes for these batches are in the Patron's Area

cam07ds
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Well my mead only made it through the first round I ended up with a 41.5 out of 50 which is good for me. (one of the advantages of being a steward). The recipie is here on Gotmead. My entry was my Sage N Cinnamon. However the Metheglin entries were awesome and I lost out for the win, (First place in the Meth category took BOS) but there is always next year.

I did get to taste your Figmead and it was excellent I need more! I look forward to tasting others in the future.

Wayne's Fruit Mel was also fantastic.

There were so many others its hard to remember them all right now, but it was a great event.

Steve

AToE
03-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Cool, good to see that the one of Wayne's recipes I've already got aging did great, and the one I have planned to do next did even better, congrats Wayne! :)

I guess his recipes must taste as good as they sound!

Looking forward to seeing other people take credit for their wins, seeing as the winners are listed by real name I have no clue who any of them are.

EDIT: Also congrats to Medsen, I'd missed that you got 3rd on that one.

jdw03n
03-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Grats on your success guys :) My first mead failed to place, but I'm looking forward to getting my score so I can see what I can improve on for next time.

Awesome job!

male
03-29-2010, 05:41 PM
And the Best Of Show goes to...........POLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wayneb
03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Congratulations to ALL the winners!! Especially our Polish meadmaking brothers, among whom is the first international (not North American) Best of Show winner at a Mazer Cup International event!!

Smarrikåka
03-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Congrats all.

I had the peasure of being involved in the first round judging of both Filleule de la Nuit and Figmead of my imagination. Great stuff. Filleule de la Nuit blew my mind.

yasuke
03-29-2010, 06:59 PM
I guess I can unlurk.
I was the 1st place Other Fruit Melomel and other Best of Show Honarable mention.

wayneb
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Congrats all.

I had the peasure of being involved in the first round judging of both Filleule de la Nuit and Figmead of my imagination. Great stuff. Filleule de la Nuit blew my mind.

Glad to see you posting, which must mean that you made it home safely! :)

Medsen Fey
03-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I was the 1st place Other Fruit Melomel and other Best of Show Honarable mention.

Congratulations! I'm curious about what type of melomel it was. The name doesn't give me a clue.

yasuke
03-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Adore was a pluot melomel.

Really what is interesting is to see the internationalization of the beverage.

Hopefully more of the different styles will be made here and appreciated.

Smarrikåka
03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I guess I can unlurk.

Was that the great Pluot melomel? If so, I saw that one in preliminary rounds too.

Glad to see you posting, which must mean that you made it home safely!

The trip home went much smoother than the one there, thankfully!

Smarrikåka
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Okay, I guess that answes my question :) A truly great one. Pretty much the perfect peach/plum-like fruit melomel.

wildoates
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Congratulations to everyone!

yasuke
03-29-2010, 08:05 PM
I am glad you got a chance to taste it.
My 2 best entries for this years Mazer didn't get to make it. One stolen and consumed by UPS and the other lost in an airlock snafu.

Medsen Fey
03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
The results of the Commercial Mead Competition (http://www.mazercup.com/mcic_2010_results.htm) are now posted also.

B. Nektar Meadery had a winner with a black raspberry melomel.
Fox Hill Meadery's special reserve mead won the varietal semi-sweet category.

Congratulations to you both, and to the other winners!

Summersolstice
03-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Congratulations everyone! There were some truly excellent meads and the winners deserve all the kudos they receive!

andrewschwab
03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Hats off to you all.. GREAT JOB

wayneb
03-30-2010, 12:41 AM

Hey, Ron! That pluot mel is absolutely outstanding. I had a sip after the first round judging finished, and it made me wish that I could have been judging mels this year.

cam07ds
03-30-2010, 01:36 PM

The Pluot melomel was fantastic! I was stewarding the BOS and got a taste. WOW!

Steve

DoomChain
03-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Sounds like the home competition was even more interesting than the commercial. Wish I could have been there for day two. Congratulations to all the winners.

Beertracker
03-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Congrats to all of the GotMeaders that won & special thanks to all of the judges & staff for their hard work!

:cheers:

jdw03n
03-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I didn't even know what a pluot was... I had to google it after hearing about this.

AToE
03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I didn't even know what a pluot was... I had to google it after hearing about this.

Me too, looks like a fantastic ingredient for a mead though!

wayneb
03-31-2010, 01:31 PM
My kids have loved the taste of pluots ever since, about 7 or 8 years ago, we first saw them sold as "dinosaur eggs" in a grocery store in So Cal. Silly me - I never even thought about fermenting them.... :(

capoeirista13
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
^---about to go google pluot.

Congrats to all those who won and placed, and to all of those who entered and got the precious feedback from the pros (that includes me, still waiting on my results!).

Thanks to everyone who organized and worked to make this a success! It's a great opportunity for people like me who aren't necessarily surrounded by other meadmakers to learn what we can do to make our brews more delicious and outstanding, and to find out what we're already doing right!

yasuke
03-31-2010, 04:36 PM
WayneB
Which part of SoCal? I went to USC and lived in Torrance prior to coming to Colorado.

yasuke
03-31-2010, 04:38 PM
There are about 15 varieties of Pluots. Not all are created equally.

wayneb
03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
WayneB
Which part of SoCal? I went to USC and lived in Torrance prior to coming to Colorado.
At one time or another I lived both in Valencia and in Fontana (talk about covering some distance!) when I worked at JPL in Pasadena. I also have relatives around Long Beach and in Simi Valley.

How long have you guys been here? (And let's continue this via PM, so we don't completely hijack the thread!) ;)

Brad Dahlhofer
03-31-2010, 10:50 PM
B. Nektar Meadery had a winner with a black raspberry melomel.
Fox Hill Meadery's special reserve mead won the varietal semi-sweet category.

Congratulations to you both, and to the other winners!

Thanks Medsen. And a big CONGRATULATIONS to Jason on his GOLD!!

I had a chance to meet Jason (Fox Hill Meadery) on a trip to NC. He lives about 10 miles from my dad. We tasted lots of mead that day. He has a really great operation and makes some wonderful meads.

Oskaar
04-01-2010, 09:15 AM
At one time or another I lived both in Valencia and in Fontana (talk about covering some distance!) when I worked at JPL in Pasadena. I also have relatives around Long Beach and in Simi Valley.

How long have you guys been here? (And let's continue this via PM, so we don't completely hijack the thread!) ;)

In the OC we call that Fon-tucky!

wayneb
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
In the OC we call that Fon-tucky!

You got that right, Bro'! ;D

Oskaar
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
There are about 15 varieties of Pluots. Not all are created equally.

Absolutely true! I'm a fan of pluots and woof down as many as possible when I'm able to get my hands on them here in So Cal. I really like them in mead as well as just off the tree. We see a lot of the Dapple Dandies, Raspberry Jewel, Flavor Prince and a couple of others that I don't recall right off the top of my head.

Yasuke, the ones you used in your melomel carried the flesh, skin and flavor of the fruit superbly, and really expressed both the tartness and sweetness of the pluots you used in perfect harmony with the honey.

Cheers,

Oskaar

capoeirista13
04-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Absolutely true! I'm a fan of pluots and woof down as many as possible when I'm able to get my hands on them here in So Cal. I really like them in mead as well as just off the tree. We see a lot of the Dapple Dandies, Raspberry Jewel, Flavor Prince and a couple of others that I don't recall right off the top of my head.

Yasuke, the ones you used in your melomel carried the flesh, skin and flavor of the fruit superbly, and really expressed both the tartness and sweetness of the pluots you used in perfect harmony with the honey.

Cheers,

Oskaar

This post, and these variety names, makes them sound even more appetizing that they looked from wikipedia.

mkaz
04-02-2010, 08:31 AM
I am very happy with the results of the Mazer Cup 2010. I thank the organizers for the excellent organization!
I took second place in the open category mead :)

:) :)
Regards
Mike

Medsen Fey
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I took second place in the open category mead :)

Congratulations Mike!
I was trying figure out what kind of mead Wiszniak Kielecki might be.

I ran across this very interesting article (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.echodnia.eu%2Fapps%2Fpbcs.dll%2 Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20100219%2FPOWIAT0104%2F783182 144&sl=pl&tl=en) about you courtesy of google translate (and a very rough translation it is), but it didn't really explain what type of mead it is. The only thing I've found was something that said it is in the dwójniaK style. I'd really like to learn more about it.

Medsen

wayneb
04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Let me add my congratulations, too! I'm very glad that Marek talked some of you guys into entering, and I hope that this year's success will bring even more entries from Poland, as well as other countries, next year!

Wiszniak Kielecki, roughly translated (and it is very rough and maybe totally wrong since I don't use my Polish very much any more), is "cherry liqueur of Kielce." In this case this isn't a "liqueur" in the accepted definition of the term, but Kielce is the county that Michal lives in.

Did I get it correct, Mike?

mkaz
04-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes Wayne you are right.
My Wiszniak is fermented with whole cherry fruit. The total sugar concentration is at 45-47 Blg. It is Polish Dwojniak, which I start from 36Blg, and later I add the rest of honey.
Recently I tested different strains of yeast and probably I have found a proper match. The recipe for wiszniak kielecki is passed in my family from generation to generation. I received it from my aunt (she already passed away), who was born at the end of XIX Century.

Regards
Mike

yabodie
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I took first in the Cyser. Such a shock I have to say!!

What was better was that Oskaar judged my blackberry mel and Vicky judged my strawberry mel.

Now to see how the three meads do at mead free or die and AHA nationals...

Honesty the cyser tastes REALLY good now.

Medsen Fey
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
The recipe for wiszniak kielecki is passed in my family from generation to generation. I received it from my aunt (she already passed away), who was born at the end of XIX Century.

That's truly a legacy to cherish!

I took first in the Cyser. Such a shock I have to say!!
Honesty the cyser tastes REALLY good now.

Congratulations! I hope you'll include the recipe in the Proven Recipes section (I need a good cyser). :)

Michał Saks
04-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Hello I'm Michał from Poland.
I am also very happy with the results of the Mazer Cup 2010.
It's great feeling to receive Best of Show award.

wayneb
04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Michał,

Thank you for sharing your incredible mead with us during the Mazer Cup contest, and welcome to the "GotMead" community!

Gratulacje!!

Oskaar
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I am also very happy with the results of the Mazer Cup 2010.

Congratulations Michal!

We were very happy to have such an excellent mead from Poland that was chosen as best of show! Next year we want even more entries from Poland and the rest of the world as well. Having many entries from many different countries will show how important mead is around the world, and how different people make different mead with different honey.

We look forward to seeing what you produce for the competition next year!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Medsen Fey
04-03-2010, 01:46 PM

Congratulations Michał! That must be some outstanding mead. It is great to have international participation in a competition like this.

Sambuci Flos means "elder flower" in English, yes? I'm curious; what type of honey did you use to make it?

Medsen

Edit - I did just receive my mazer in the mail, and I must say it is absolutely beautiful. I tip my hat to the artist - Peri Charlifu. He's made some truly lovely pieces, and I will display mine prominently! Thank you Peri.

wayneb
04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Medsen, I'll pass your comments over to Peri. I'm sure that he'll be pleased!!
;D

Michał Saks
04-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi,
I used early spring mix flowers honey from my region, which was pale, delicate but also had strong aroma.

fatbloke
04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Well I say well done to one and all.

I don't "do" competitions myself. I'm not a competitive person and far too "haphazard" in my approach to mead making......

But it would be a real treat to watch something like the Mazer cup going on and understand how the "big boys" play.......

It'd be an added bonus to meet a few of you lot as well.

Hey ho! maybe next year........

regards

fatbloke

wayneb
04-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Start saving your pennies, FB! We'd love to have you here next year!!

BTW - We do take the competition part of the event seriously, but unlike some of the wine related competitive events I've been to, the Mazer Cup is the friendliest, most participant-interactive major fermentation event I've ever seen. I wholeheartedly encourage any of you interested in making mead, drinking mead, and learning more about mead in one weekend than you ever thought possible (along with partying with some of the best meadmakers on the planet!) to plan to attend at least one time. You'll definitely be glad that you did!

jdw03n
04-05-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm going to try to come out there next year :)

capoeirista13
04-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I just got my MCI results back. They are posted here
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141112#post141112
in the brewlog that they are evaluating.

It was really cool to see what the judges said, even if I don't get it all (mid palate? wha?)

jdw03n
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I got mine also, I'm happy with a 37 for my first mead, and only the fourth batch of anything I ever brewed. I thought it interesting to see the variance (5 points) in the judges' scores and see the things that they focused on. Definitely gives me hope for the future, and I should be able to serve this mead with pride at my wedding next month :)

AToE
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd love to see as many people as possible post their specific comments and results in their brewlogs, assuming they're comfortable doing that of course. It's pretty educational to see how a certain recipe is scored by experienced people and their subjectice comments as well.

wayneb
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I just got my MCI results back. They are posted here
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141112#post141112
in the brewlog that they are evaluating.

It was really cool to see what the judges said, even if I don't get it all (mid palate? wha?)

Mid-palate: A term referring to the feel and taste of a wine in the middle of your mouth. This can range from full and rich to thin and acidic.

From the Wine Glossary at www.supplewine.com. So, basically the impression that you get from a wine/mead/etc., after the first tastes hit you.

exlineg
04-05-2010, 08:47 PM
All,

No problems posting up your results. I would ask that you leave judge names and ID's out of it though. I have a big enough challenge wrangling judges each year. I would really hate for someone to be offended by having their name and ID posted.

So Capoeirista13 if you could please remove the judge names and ID's from your post I would REALLY appreciate it. 8)

Your humble MCI Judge Director
(AKA Cat Herder)

capoeirista13
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM
All,

No problems posting up your results. I would ask that you leave judge names and ID's out of it though. I have a big enough challenge wrangling judges each year. I would really hate for someone to be offended by having their name and ID posted.

So Capoeirista13 if you could please remove the judge names and ID's from your post I would REALLY appreciate it. 8)

Your humble MCI Judge Director
(AKA Cat Herder)

sorry about that, I didn't know it would be a problem.

exlineg
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
No worries. Thanks for editing your post!!

I'm probably being a bit over paranoid, but some folks just don't like their personal info being posted on the Internets...

As I said tough, absolutely now problem posting up comments and results from scoresheets. In fact, I think it will turn out to be very educational to folks on how their meads are evaluated and what the judges detected. 8)

Cheers,
Glenn

Dragonslayer
04-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I would first like to chime in with my congratulatory remarks to all the winners. I am especially excited for Michael taking the Best in Show cup for Poland. The MCI is now truly an international compitition.

This was my first mead compitition to which I entered only one. A melomel with coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. This has been a Christmas favorite for several years. I am away from home at the moment for work, but my wife called a while ago to let me know I had received the judges comments, which she read to me. I will post everything after I get home in a few weeks.

I was amazed at some of the things the judges picked up on. They all said to tone down the coriander. I found that quit interesting as I had planned on increasing it for the next batch. I thought it was too subtle. Who am I to judge? :P

Has the MCI comittee ever considered taking the compitition on the road? I mean holding it in different cities each year? If so I'd like to offer the City of Lakewood as an option. It is a suburb of Tacoma. Just a thought.

wayneb
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Has the MCI comittee ever considered taking the compitition on the road? I mean holding it in different cities each year? If so I'd like to offer the City of Lakewood as an option. It is a suburb of Tacoma. Just a thought.

Chris, we have in fact discussed hosting the event in different cities around North America, and eventually (if interest and budgets support it) in other world venues. However, that is something for the future -- right now it is more important to build up the status and reputation of the MCI in the world meadmaking community. One of the necessary prerequisites for that is to hold a succession of first-rate, "professional" events over the course of these first several years. That's a tough challenge in and of itself, since none of us are professionals - we all volunteer to put this event on. With an all-volunteer staff, the event naturally gets better with each passing year as the majority of that staff gain experience from previous contests, and we tweak and tune our processes to optimize how things work. Keeping that staff continuity is far easier if we hold the events in the same place year after year, at least for these first few years. So, for the next couple of years it is likely that we'll stay in Boulder. After that, who knows? ;D

Oskaar
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I would first like to chime in with my congratulatory remarks to all the winners. I am especially excited for Michael taking the Best in Show cup for Poland. The MCI is now truly an international compitition.

This was my first mead compitition to which I entered only one. A melomel with coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. This has been a Christmas favorite for several years. I am away from home at the moment for work, but my wife called a while ago to let me know I had received the judges comments, which she read to me. I will post everything after I get home in a few weeks.

I was amazed at some of the things the judges picked up on. They all said to tone down the coriander. I found that quit interesting as I had planned on increasing it for the next batch. I thought it was too subtle. Who am I to judge? :P

When we originally put the competition together the idea was to make it modular and move-able so that it could mature into a traveling competition. The feedback we received last year from the commercial meaderies and home entrants was to keep it in Boulder for the time being. We anticipate significant growth next year so we will be examining our options.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dragonslayer
04-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I completely understand and support your position on locations. I asked for two basic reasons; 1) not everyone who would like to go has the time or money so coming to their town might make it feasible, and 2) by the time you are ready to do such a thing I hope my winery is stable enough to provide sponsorship. I also have several years of experience organizing these types of events and would love the opportunity to be involved.

In the meantime, keep up the good work. I look forward to next years competition. I already have several meads on the shelf waiting. :cheers:

Jestig
04-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Well all I can say is AWESOME!!!!

This is Michael and Krystn Weidemann, we meet a ton of people during the competition and are very glad that we made the trip out to Boulder.

THANK YOU for everyone's hard work and putting on a fantastic competition for MEAD! Everyone was super nice and very informative! I probably learned more in one weekend than the last 3 years of research. Its great to see such a large community that all love mead.
We didn't enter this year, but look out for us next year.

Much love from So Cal.

Oskaar
04-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow, it never landed that you folks came in from So Cal.

Would you PM me your email and such so we can keep in touch please?

Cheers,

Oskaar

Noe Palacios
04-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Hi everybody!

Thanks to all who made MCI 2010 possible !!!

I had just read my sheets, it is a great feedback. I am already planning some adjustment. I hope I could enter next year, I really do.

¡¡ Saludos y un abrazo a todos !!

Noe

Michał Saks
04-28-2010, 02:20 PM
On Today's local website short article about was published
For the once who is interested:Short Interview (http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/Najlepszy-miod-pitny-na-swiecie-powstal-w-Trojmiescie-n38423.html?&id_news=38423&strona=1#opinie)

Smarrikåka
04-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Great video/interview (even though I don't understand it, it had a great atmosphere to it). Your bottles/labels look very proffesional.

Oskaar
04-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Very nice Michal, I see some cyser there too!

Zivjeli,

Oskaar

yasuke
04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Michael, congratulations.
I wish I had been able to taste your mead.
The Polish meads were very good this year at Mazer and as a style will strech what people think about meads overall.

I had actually done a tv interview maybe 2 weeks or 3 it could have been prior to Mazer. It is linked here with the video.

http://origin.9news.com/money/consumer/article.aspx?storyid=134991&catid=103

It is wine competition season and I hope many of you here can help get some attention to our wonderful hobby.

Oskaar
04-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Excellent!

The more coverage mead gets the more quickly it can gain mainstream attention and be available in the local supermarket. Mead is positioned to move into the mainstream and it needs mainstream people to move it, buy it and spread the word about it.

Cheers,

Oskaar

cam07ds
04-30-2010, 01:28 PM
On Today's local website short article about was published
For the once who is interested:Short Interview (http://www.trojmiasto.pl/wiadomosci/Najlepszy-miod-pitny-na-swiecie-powstal-w-Trojmiescie-n38423.html?&id_news=38423&strona=1#opinie)

Michal
Great video. One of my co-workers translated for me. I was very lucky to be stewarding and able to taste your winning mead during the BOS judging. Good luck next year I can not wait to see what you enter!

Cheers
Steve