PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Santa Rosa CA?

Gardenmead
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
I just moved to Santa Rosa California and was wondering if any fellow meadmakers from Gotmead live in the area.

Luckily, The Beverage People store is located here in town providing a good LHBS (I would not have moved here if there were no good brew stores around).

I am planning on joining a local brewing club, but wanted to check here for any Gotmead folk too.

akueck
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I was there on Sunday. ;) I know there are a couple of East Bay folk around and I swear someone was near Sacramento. :p

You're close to Russian River wine country *and* RRBC, so it shouldn't be hard to convince people to visit you. The Russian River Valley is one of my newest favorite places in CA. We also went to Stumptown in Guerneville for the first time, get the pulled pork and a pint of Rat Bastard Pale ale (garlic fries too!). Next time I head up there I'll drop you a line.

wildoates
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Who's near Sacramento? I need to meet that person!

:)

gabefu
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
That would be me? I am in Elk Grove. Currently brewing a berry melomel/mead.

Beertracker
04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Don't live there, but love to visit! Pretty country. ;)

:occasion14:

wildoates
04-02-2010, 01:11 AM
That would be me? I am in Elk Grove. Currently brewing a berry melomel/mead.

I'm also in Elk Grove, and I was being extremely sarcastic. :)

Gardenmead
04-02-2010, 11:57 AM
It does seem like a pretty nice area in a lot of ways. I have already been checking out some of the local breweries like Russian River Brewing Co. I still want to go check out Bear Republic which is pretty close too.

Unfortunately, when it comes to wine(ie grape wine) I feel pretty ignorant, and around here wine is King. There are vineyards and wineries everywhere!

The big wine industry does make it nice for the home meadmaker in a lot of ways. The LHBS sells all the yeast strains really cheap and they have all kinds of great winemaking supplies, not to mention plenty of labs that will do analysis of your must or wine.

If anyone comes through Santa Rosa town let me know and maybe we can meet up. I don't have much to show for the home-meadery/brewery right now, due to the recent move, but I have some stuff in bottle and more on the way (hopefully!)

akueck
04-02-2010, 04:05 PM
We've visited that wine country three or four times now. So far no horrific duds, though I can think of a couple that were underwhelming at best (e.g. Paraduxx, who pontificated about "this is not a white Zinfandel" and then served us a white Zinfandel :rolleyes:). The good news is that most we visited (through random dart throwing) were quite good to excellent. And Napa/Sonoma is just down the road or Anderson Valley which is just the other direction. Wine is awesome.

$5 says we'll be in that area again before the end of the month. ;D