• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brewing tunes?

Barrel Char Wood Products

jdw03n

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Ok, just curious to see what others do. I know I'm weird, I own it, I love it, so that's ok :)

I've always felt that music can have a dramatic effect on almost anything - there are reasons doctors play music during surgery, people sing to plants, etc.. I've even known professional chefs that have to have certain albums playing while cooking certain things.

Ever since I started brewing, I've felt that, with my better batches, I found the right music to influence the brewing environment.

They say music soothes the savage beast, but it may inspire the savage yeast as well.

Do you listen while you brew? What is in your disc player while you're creating?

d.j.patterson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2010
Vass, NC
I happened to be listening to the new Dropkick Murphy's St. Pat's Day concert CD while working on my batch that had been in lag for 48 hours. May have nothing to do with it, but by the next morning it was bubbling.

Now I have the Dropkick Murphy's on every night while I am aerating, checking PH, SG, watching the bubbles, etc.

Maybe I'm superstitous.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I haven't been blasting tunes while I brew, I should start though (especially for long brews loike beers/braggots). I do listen to a lot of music in my home office, which is the room that houses my mead-closet though.

dr9

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 12, 2009
athens ga
Right-wing talk radio, it seems to make the yeast more productive and feel bad about itself at the same time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns