PDA

View Full Version : Must still sitting after failed pitch

d.j.patterson
04-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Ok, this may seem like a hard to answer question but I have search the forum and can't find a good answer.

I mixed up my must 11 days ago and pitched the yeast but it has failed to do anything. I don't live anywhere near a HBS and I have to order everything online. I contact the online retailer and they are supposed to be sending me a replacement but I still don't have it yet.

So my question is how long can a must sit in an airlocked and sanitized carboy and still be considered safe?

My ingrediants

18 lbs. OB honey
2 navel oranges cut into 1/16ths
juice of 2 navel oranges
water to bring to 5 gallons
2 vials White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast

I do not plan to ever use this yeast again. I am trying to determine if I should even attempt to repitch after I do finally receive my replacement.

I don't see any growths, but the oranges have gotten quite beaten up while aerating for the first three days and the pulp has taken on a brownish color, even though I have tried to keep them stirred down.

OG 1.126
11 days later SG 1.126

edit: used no boil method, added 2 gallons water then honey, blended using lees stirrer on drill, added oranges and juice, then topped up to 5 gallons and pitched.

Medsen Fey
04-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Well, if nothing else has gotten in there so far, and you keep it protected from oxygen it could last for a good while. If you sulfite it, most bacterial organisms can be held at bay. If you put it in a fridge (or somewhere cold) where the temp is below 40 F, you can probably hold onto it indefinitely while you wait.

It is always good to have a few packets of spare yeast around.

d.j.patterson
04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks Medsen,

I just wasn't sure. I will sulfite it when I get home from work. I don't have any refrigerated area where I could keep it, so I just wasn't sure what the shelf life may have been.

dr9
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
I've read about so many problems with that yeast strain, I'll definately steer clear of it. I guess the only question still unanswered is what temperature the must is at, have you tried warming it up?

akueck
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
It is always good to have a few packets of spare yeast around.

Definitely. Next time you order, add a few packets of dry yeast to your order. Keep them in the fridge and they'll survive just about forever, and they can be really nice in a pinch when other yeast doesn't work out or you have a sudden urge to ferment something. I usually have some US-05 around, which is a clean fermenting ale yeast that is not very picky about what you throw it into (also comes in an 11 g packet, which is a lot of yeast). A good standby wine yeast would be 71B or K1V-1116.

d.j.patterson
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
DR9, I would not use this yeast strain again. I also would not use the Wyeast liquid either. I have just heard too many bad things about both. I wish I would have read more in the forums before starting my first batch. Must is still sitting at room temp of 72*.

Akueck, I am including 2 packets of D47 and 2 packets of 71B in my next order.

My wife just called and told me that my replacement yeast has arrived at the house. Unfortunately it is the same strain. I am going to make a starter at low gravity and slowly increase it until I think it can handle the pitch.

Medsen Fey
04-07-2010, 04:19 PM
You should also keep a packet of EC-1118 or UvaFerm 43 around to work with when something sticks - trust me, it happens even in the best of homes. :-[

d.j.patterson
04-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Medsen,

I will add 2 packets of EC1118 to the list as well.