PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

ibwahooka
04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey everyone,
I moved my batch of JAO last night to prepare to bottle it, and it got really cloudy. If I give it a few days, it should clear back up again right??

-Shawn

Cuchulain
04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Yes, it should clear up shortly. Usually a good idea to move your fermenter a day or so before you intend to bottle.

Angelic Alchemist
04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
That happens to me all the time when I move a carboy to the counter from the closet floor to start a siphon. Because of this, I move my carboys the night before I plan on racking. They usually settle within 24 hours.

ibwahooka
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
That's what I thought. My beer settles, but I wasn't quite sure about the JAO.

-Shawn

ibwahooka
04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
The oranges started falling! That cracks me up every time.

ibwahooka
04-24-2010, 08:08 AM
So here's something interesting. After I moved my carboy, the oranges began falling and my JAO started to clear up again. Last night when I went to bed, almost 3/4 of the oranges had fallen to the bottom of the carboy. I wake up this morning and all the oranges are back up top and there is some small activity started back in the carboy! I was really looking forward to a fresh glass of JAO this weekend.

Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

-Shawn

Chevette Girl
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I have noticed this with some of my melomels that contain floating fruit, so often a couple days before I want to rack it, I'll jiggle the carboy a bit to encourage things to settle out earlier so it doesn't get stirred up when I move the carboy.

ibwahooka
04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
I have noticed this with some of my melomels that contain floating fruit, so often a couple days before I want to rack it, I'll jiggle the carboy a bit to encourage things to settle out earlier so it doesn't get stirred up when I move the carboy.

That is odd. I wonder why it does that. Oh well, all the oranges have now fallen back to the bottom of my carboy, the mead has cleared and I should be able to bottle this weekend!

Now where did I put all my bottles......?