Just for refrence, my recipes was
12Lbs Clover Honey
3 Gal Water
10g D47 yeast
yeast nutrient
5lbs oranges (primary fermentation)
5lbs Apples (Secondary)
allspice and cinnamon to taste

Which brings me to my issue, i had the apples in a fine mesh bag and left them in the secondary, after transferring off of the lees of course, for about 10 days. I forgot about them due to other everyday problems. I opened the bucket today to find what appears to be bits of the apples collecting and floating on top of the mead. There are no off flavors or smells, and mead actually tastes wonderful. Alcohol content is about 15%, but i didnt measure after backsweetening with 6 more pounds of honey (i like rather sweet meads) so im not exact on that measure. Most of the "debris" appears to be near the surface, but i wasnt sure if there was something that I should be concerned about. Any suggestions or tips would be useful even if its no more than, "Rack to another container after this settles". Thanks all.

Srink
04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
As a rule, eveything was saintized in a bleach sloution, and the apples were frozen, thawed and chopped into small pieces before being submersed. I weighed the cap down, thought, so everything was covered in mead. I have a feeling that it may be a ridiculous amount of pectin from the apples that is coagulating in the mead.

Fisher kel Tath
04-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Yea, maybe rack with a bit of stocking of fine mesh cloth to filter out the bits. I made a cyser a couple months back and only had it on the apples 2 days before pulling them (It was green apple and in 48hrs had already made the mead too tart to drink) and still have bits of apple floating in the mead, not concerned with it though.

Srink
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Sounds pretty, good. These were also green apples but to the weight/ gallon ratio, tastes delicious. Fermented oranges and dissolved green apples...., ill wait a bit to see if it drops and then if not strain it as best as i can. Thanks

Fisher kel Tath
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM
My ratio was .5 green apple to 1.5g of mead :P, the green apple was strong...

Srink
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
1/2 lb? did you leave on the skins? in my experience the skins causes it to be a little more bitter, especially with the Granny Smith or "green" apples. Normally i would use sweeter apples, but i wanted alot of apple flavor, imo the orange was really too strong up until about now.

Fisher kel Tath
04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
1/2 lb? did you leave on the skins? in my experience the skins causes it to be a little more bitter, especially with the Granny Smith or "green" apples. Normally i would use sweeter apples, but i wanted alot of apple flavor, imo the orange was really too strong up until about now.

No, half a green apple lol, cored and diced, but only half an apple :p

It wasn't even a large green apple, but damn the thing was sour :p

Medsen Fey
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Any suggestions or tips would be useful even if its no more than, "Rack to another container after this settles".

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Srink
04-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks again folks, ill give it a bit then rack outta this container. Ill update afterwards on the status of this.