PDA

View Full Version : Looking to learn.

Beave
04-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I have recently taken up the hobby of mead making. I looked for a long time for the best information available and found it here. GREAT SITE!! As of right now, I have 3 gallons of JAO chugging away. Been going for almost 2 weeks now and looking wonderful. Yesterday, I recieved my delivery of 15# of OB honey from Miller's (found recomendation here on GotMead.com) and will be starting my first batch non-JAO mead using the beginner recipe found in Ken Schramm's book.

I have found most of the information I have been looking for by searching forums if not already found in NewBee Guide (which I have read through already along with Ken's book). Since both of these are guides for basics of meadmaking, I had a few questions that weren't covered.

1.) What are the benefits of using Fermaid K as opposed to using regular nutrient and energizer?

2.) Campden tablets are Potassium Metabisuphite. I have also run across Sodium Metabisuphite. Is there a difference between these two? I assume they do the same thing but does one leave an off flavor as opposed to the other one?

3.) Is there a post here anywhere that show what a mead starter pack should consist of? I ordered a beginners kit online and have had to make at least 3 other orders to get everything needed to start (granted, i prolly didn't NEED the other components but it seems to make life much easier).

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions within minutes of posting this but they will have to wait till another time.

I plan on making my OB mead this evening if all goes well and cleaning is all completed first. Will post to brewlog as soon as things are wrapping up in the "meadery" (read as "kitchen").

Peace out and keep brewing!

Oskaar
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello Beave,

Welcome to Got Mead?

Fermaid-K is a more complete nutrient than DAP or DAP-Centric nutrients. DAP will force your yeast cells to reproduce but will not give them complete nutrient for what they need to eat while they're reproducing and growing. Fermaid-K has other nutrients along with DAP so that the yeast will have a full spectrum nutrient while they are reproducing and growing.

One is potassium based the other is sodium based. If you're going to use one I'd recommend the potassium based K-meta.

Starter Pack? If you check out the newbees guide again it covers equipment for meadmaking. I'd recommend:

1 6.5 gal bucket
1 6.5 gal glass carboy
1 5 gal glass carboy
1 wine thief
1 graduated cylinder to accommodate the hydrometer
1 racking cane - Autosiphon if you can get one
1 hydrometer
1 pH meter
1 stirring spoon
1 80 gram pack Fermaid-K
1 80 gram pack Go-Ferm
1 50 gram pack Yeast Hulls
1 5 oz pack Potassium Bicarbonate
1 bottle anti-foam
1 digital gram scale
4 airlocks and bungs
2 good sized 100% cotton cloths
1 bench bottle capper
1 canister CO2 or nitrogen

Others may have different ideas but that's what I'd recommend as a starter pack.

Once again, Welcome to Got Mead? and we wish you the very best in mead, meadmaking and mead drinking!