PDA

View Full Version : Help

peeps1313
05-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I live in the city of Detroit. I would to learn how to make a good quality batch of mead. Thanks

Medsen Fey
05-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Welcome to GotMead peeps1313!

You've come to the right place.

The best way to start is take a look at the NewBee Guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14). That will get you familiar with the whole process. Another great piece of reading is Ken Schramm's book the Compleat Meadmaker!

After that you just need a recipe and to give it a go. Joe's Ancient Orange (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=118&Itemid=459)is a nice recipe that many folks like to start with as it produces a nice sweet orange mead without too many headaches.

I hope you have fun with it.

Medsen

wildoates
05-02-2010, 02:49 PM
I guess if you drank enough it might give you some headaches, but we can hardly blame the mead for that!

Welcome to our happy home, Peeps!

wayneb
05-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Let me add my Welcome to the "Gotmead" community, Peeps!!

Also, since you're in Detroit if you haven't already done so you should take some time to check out B. Nektar meadery in Ferndale. They aren't open to the public every day (they are still a relatively small operation, although they and their reputation are growing), but if you can get there when they are giving a tour, Brad still remembers what it was like to be a home meadmaker and I'm sure he'd have some suggestions for where to find "stuff," etc. Besides, he's making some of the best commercial meads in the country now, so if you can try some of them, you'll know what to shoot for in your own! ;)

buzzerj
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Welcome Peeps1313! Joe's Ancient Orange and Spiced Mead is a good mead to start with for a first batch because you can achieve a relatively quick result and it's totally easy to make. It ends up as a sweet mead which many of us have made. I'd also suggest Joe's Grape Pyment as an easy, quick mead to make and you get a drier mead result. I've made this many times with different types of grape juice. It's excellent to make early in your meadmaking career. Both mead recipes are available here on Gotmead. Glad to have you join us Peeps! We're a happy crew and you can always take the Gotmead mentors advice to the bank. Wayne and Medsen and group will never steer you wrong. Follow their advice, read the Newbee Guide and the interesting posts here and you'll be making some quality mead in no time. Well, other than the time it takes to ferment it. Cheers and all the best!

Buzzer

skunkboy
05-03-2010, 06:40 PM
You could try Eastern Market to check for people selling good quality honey. Although I'm sure that there are a lot of urban bee keepers in the Detroit, I'm not sure many advertise their honey for sale...