PDA

View Full Version : Are there any old 'pros' willing to give up a sample for tasting?

Jord
05-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Hello all,

I was just wondering if there was a possibility that any of the pros (not owners of meaderies but experienced folk) around here would be willing to ship a bottle of mead of their choice up to Canada so I can get an idea of what a "proper" mead is supposed to taste like?

This may sound really silly but to be honest there aren't a lot of commercial meads available around where I live (I've tried both of them) and while I've notched a batch of JAO, a traditional, and a failed round of cider under my belt the traditional's very young (<8 months since pitched) and I'd really like to get a taste of something good to compare current and future endeavours to.

Of course the very giving and wonderful person that agrees to help me out (come on there has to be one of you with an old bottle of grog around that they're waiting to pawn off on someone) will be compensated (price to be arranged via pm).

If there isn't anyone willing to lend a hand *sniff* then I guess I'll just *sniff* have to continue blindly......;D

To be honest I'm not concerned with what style of mead it is (pyment, traditional, cyser, etc) as I'd just like something proper......though I'm slightly afraid that thecaleb will send me a bottle of the "Molten Gold" he created not long ago labelled as a sack mead as a joke.....:eek:

If there are any takers I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Jord

wayneb
05-07-2010, 07:46 AM
PM me with your address. I happen to have a couple of 12 oz bottles of the meads that I entered in the Mazer Cup still in the cellar. (Anal-re... err, "careful" person that I am, I always bottle a few more 12 oz'ers than I need for entry into the contest.) ;)

Now there is that off chance that the bottles will be confiscated at the border since we don't have a foolproof way to get them past Canadian Customs. However, if you've got some friends on this side of the line and you don't mind coming down to visit them, I'll ship to that US location instead. That way you can be sure of getting them. ;D

d.j.patterson
05-07-2010, 10:41 AM
It's amazing what happens when you just ask. :D

Chevette Girl
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm hardly a pro, but I have a lot of stock and I know what I like...Please feel free to PM me if you're ever going to find yourself in Ottawa and we'll see if we can't raise a couple of mugs of mead together!

fatbloke
05-08-2010, 03:22 AM
It's amazing what happens when you just ask. :D
Yes and it depends on how you go about it. I sent a friend a bottle of 85% ABV Absinthe (home made) to him in Ok, and that got past customs, State authorities/USPS etc etc etc.

Oh and it had a lable that said "parsnip wine" on it.....

Whether it got there by chance, or because they couldn't be bothered to taste or dispose of it, I don't know.

I recently sent another friend a couple of packs of English Breakfast teabags but included a vac' pack of sloes that I'd dried last year, so in a couple of years, with any luck, he should also be able to enjoy some home made Sloe Gin at christmas :p

Hey ho! most rules are there for the breaking.....

regards

fatbloke

Jord
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks Wayne! Pm'd you.

Ironically Chevette I was in Ottawa this past weekend.....alas for missed opportunities....:(

I don't know when I'll be back that way but I'll definitely get in touch with you prior to heading that way....thanks for the invitation!