PDA

View Full Version : My First Mead (making A Cyser) Any help or comments please.....

Mead Seeker
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I am making my first Mead. I took 4 lbs of honey labeled local, (it is a light honey probably clover), 1 ga of 100% pure Tree Top Apple Juice, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, added almost 1 ga water (total result is 2 gal of must). I added .75 grams of K Meta, 2 tsp of yeast nutrients, and 2 grams tartaric acid.

Numbers =
PH 3.70
SG 1.090
I made a yeast starter with RC 212. I added it one day later, (yesterday).

I have been stirring it twice daily for airation. I plan on testing the PH and Specific Gravity tomorrow.

This is my first try at making mead. I read a bit and just put together the recipe from some of what I have seen. I guess this is actually a Cyser. I am hoping it turns out well.

Any advice?

wayneb
05-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, no advice at this point - not other than to read the Newbee guide if you haven't already done so. I am more surprised than anything else. Usually a one or two gallon recipe with that much lemon juice and tartaric acid added ends up at a far lower pH (in the neighborhood of 3.1 to 3.2), and these recipes often stick due to low pH. You must have some very alkaline water where you're at!

Nevertheless, if it is fermenting and if your pH test tomorrow suggests that not much has changed, then aeration daily up until the 1/3 sugar break and some additional nutrient will help to keep things moving along as well as possible.

In the future you might want to look for a yeast with lower nitrogen requirements. RC212 does need more than a nominal amount of yeast assimilable nitrogen (abbreviated YAN), and it can make your must rather stinky from hydrogen sulphide production if it isn't fed adequately.

Welcome to "Gotmead," BTW!!