PDA

View Full Version : Clarity?

shmoab
05-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I have a 5gal batch that fermented fine and was clear. I racked it about a month and a half ago, waited two weeks and threw it in the fridge to get the clarity back. Nothing happened. I took it out, let it sit about a month and still nothing. So it's back in the fridge with hope. Any suggestions?

wayneb
05-14-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm confused about what you're saying here. Do you mean that the mead was clear until you racked it?

shmoab
05-14-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm confused about what you're saying here. Do you mean that the mead was clear until you racked it?

Exactly. I like to get as much mead as I can when I rack. lol All my other meads have settled and cleared out.

wayneb
05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Well, you may be at the vary beginning of yeast autolysis with the lees left in this batch, and if you sucked up yeast bits along with dormant yeast cells, that stuff may stay in suspension longer than when it first had settled out.

If it isn't starting to produce gas (i.e. CO2) again, and it isn't smelling bad, it likely hasn't re-started the fermentation or picked up an infection, so all you need to do is to wait it out. It will probably clear on its own eventually, although you can hurry the process along a bit by using a fining agent.