PDA

View Full Version : What yeast to use?

jayich
05-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I have 18lbs. of orange blossom honey which I plan to split into a traditional mead and a grapefruit(maybe with orange) melomel. I would like these to finish dry but would backsweeten to taste if necessary and oak- at least the traditional- with Hungarian or French oak cubes. I have lots of KV1 and 71B yeasts on hand as well as one packet of D47- but I could easily obtain other varieties. I was leaning toward using KV1 in both versions, but I would appreciate any suggestions. I have heard that Wyeast Rudesheimer yeast is a good one because it matures relatively quickly, giving a drinkable mead sooner?? If I went with the latter, since it comes in a smack pack, how big of a starter would I need?

Medsen Fey
05-15-2010, 03:33 PM
I've used D47 with grapefruit and had a good result. I'm also partial to DV10 with citrus batches. The K1V will work well also.

jayich
05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Medsen. I had planned to use DV10 with the grapefruit melomel but the shipment from Morewine has been delayed. I may go with KV1 or see if my LHBS has D47(I need more) or DV10.

fatbloke
05-16-2010, 04:33 AM
I've used D47 with grapefruit and had a good result. I'm also partial to DV10 with citrus batches. The K1V will work well also.
Hum? a friend as just sent me about 25 grammes of D21 to be getting on with. But your mention of DV10 has piqued my interest again Medsen.

I wonder if I can get "morewine" to put some sachets of the more obscure yeasts they list into an envelope to post USPS airmail?

I say obscure, but you and others like Wayne often mention yeasts that are just the usual suspects from Lalvin, so it'd be great to try some of them........

regards

fatbloke

Smarrikåka
05-16-2010, 08:10 AM
If you want a slightly more nearby source there's a company in Denmark that stocks DV10. Have a look at http://www.vinmager.dk/default-filer/page0021.htm for the yeasts they have. Their website is absolutely horrible, but they got some good things in the way of yeasts.

fatbloke
05-16-2010, 09:31 AM
If you want a slightly more nearby source there's a company in Denmark that stocks DV10. Have a look at http://www.vinmager.dk/default-filer/page0021.htm for the yeasts they have. Their website is absolutely horrible, but they got some good things in the way of yeasts.
See what you mean about hideous looking website...... the other snag is that it's only available in Danish - there's no translation facility.

I think I managed to work out that the ones that they do have, only appear to be available in commercial sized packs. I think I made out that they had 100 gramme and 500 gramme packs.... damn, I like making meads but that's too much for me ;D I couldn't afford the honey to keep up with packs that size.

I'm hoping that if morewine will accomodate then they'll just be able to put some of the lesser known ones in an envelope a couple of packs a time.....

Smarrikåka
05-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I think I managed to work out that the ones that they do have, only appear to be available in commercial sized packs. I think I made out that they had 100 gramme and 500 gramme packs.... damn, I like making meads but that's too much for me ;D I couldn't afford the honey to keep up with packs that size.

They also have smaller packs (with just enough to make 50 L wine/mead) It's in the text in red (and they say yeast nutrient [fermaid-K] is included in the price. I ordered three kinds of yeast from them with that amount. But I only got enough nutrient for one of the yeats, so if things don't work out with morewine and you end up ordering from them, you should make sure you get enough nutrient.