• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Soon, my little yeasties, soon...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So after taking inventory for my "what's brewing" thread, I determined that I had 22 gallons in need of bottling. I decided that I wasn't allowed to start anything new until I got at least half of that bottled... so I bottled eight gallons tonight so now I'm 3 gallons away from my next adventure! And I think I MIGHT even have enough clean-ish bottles! (IE ones that don't need hours of soaking to get the labels off).

3 gal of straberry wine started in July 2005 :eek: (this was the batch that just wouldn't stop bubbling even after it hit SG =0.990), 1 gallon each of rhubarb and blueberry wines started in 2008, and 3 gallons of pumpkin (and butternut squash and a zucchini) wine. All are a little drier than I like (all at 0.990 except blueberry at 0.995) but all taste pretty good.

Now, what to ferment next... <rubs hands gleefully> I have a freezer full of blackberries that were on sale... maybe blackberry port? one of my metheglyn ideas? all of my metheglyn ideas?

OK, ok, I should be thinking about what to bottle next... probably the "probably pear" wine... (bottle had lost its tag but has since been confirmed by checking the log to be, in fact, pear wine)... or maybe the oak-bomb zinfandel blush ice-style wine... Oh, and labelling what I just bottled before I forget what it is... :p (there's a reason I selected 4 wines that look completely different!!)

... it really is an addiction... :rolleyes: go to bed, Chevette Girl....

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well if that's the case, I suggest that you put 2/3's of it away, for social, birthday, celebration and other "family" type needs.........

And start killing the liver cells a bit........ there's nothing like drinking some of your own efforts.

If it's a bit dry for your liking then just back sweetening should do the trick. There's a wealth of nice tasting grape juice concentrates available on your side of the pond so you shouldn't need too much just to give "them" that additional, erm, edge......

:p:p:p

regards

fatbloke

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I do end up giving a lot of wine away. The stuff I'm proud of, anyway... the rest I take with me to various events, I like getting people's comments...

I'm thinking my next experiment should be a pair of show meads, one with pasteurized honey that's also been boiled and one with unpasteurized honey and no heating it... just to see if I can pick out the difference...

Angelic Alchemist

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
www.Angelic-Alchemy.com
I learned a great deal about honey, yeast strains and technique by doing several traditional meads. If you haven't made at least a few yet, I'd encourage you to do so! Get a gallon of honey from all your local apiaries (I have three in my area) when they do their June/July harvests. The prices will be reasonable, the honey will be fresh, and you can gain valuable knowledge about what the stuff does by itself before jazzing it up with fruit/spice/etc.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I'm thinking my next experiment should be a pair of show meads, one with pasteurized honey that's also been boiled and one with unpasteurized honey and no heating it... just to see if I can pick out the difference...

Yes please do. We need more data points for this discussion. If you do this, please start a brewlog and link it in to this thread on boiling. We may eventually have enough batches done to provide a definitive answer to this question.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It would be a better experiment if I could get my hands on pasteurized and non-pasteurized honey from the same apiary, or at least fresh unpasteurized honey, but... well... what can you do...
...the best you can with what you've got, really...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns