PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer Readings

StevenGoodson
05-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, I have fallen into the honey pit of mead making and have brewed my first batch. Everything is chugging along great and I have gotmead.com and all of the posters on the NB forum to thank, especially those experienced mead makers that are willing to hold our NB hands and provide their insight and recommendations.
With that said, I have a question about hydrometer readings that I have not been able to get an answer for, by searching the forum. After taking my initial SG of 1.112 (adjusted for temp) and waiting through the lag phase, active fermentation began the next day. When placiing my hydrometer into the bucket, it initially read about 1.1; however, it slowly started to rise and finally came to rest at 1.13 after 5+ seconds.
My question is which reading should I use? Is the initial SG reading correct or should I wait for the slow rise to stop and use that reading? It appears that the rise is due to CO2 bubbles collecting on the hydrometer?

d.j.patterson
05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
The general recomendation for hydrometer readings is to spin the hydrometer to shake lose the bubbles and take a reading before any more collect on it.

The immediate reading is the accurate one given that when you took your original gravity reading there were no CO2 bubbles to rise the hydromenter.

Jord
05-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe that if you take a sample large enough to fill a hydrometer tube, and shake the bejeezus out of it to de-gas it you will get a stable reading. At least that's what I do. When finished you can either pour it back into the bucket or drink it.

Win win really. :)

Chevette Girl
05-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Hehe, win-win indeed...

I usually tap the top of my hydrometer to bounce it off the bottom of the test tube (gently!) which knocks off all the bubbles then I take my reading right away.