PDA

View Full Version : Fermaid K anyone?

Jord
05-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Okay, so I've been calling around to all of my LHBSeseses to see if I can locate some Fermaid K locally rather than ordering it online. Needless to say none of them knew what I was talking about though one very helpful proprietor told me that she would make a couple of calls to see if she could locate it for me.

So a few hours go by and I get a call back from her telling me that she's found a place nearby that will happily sell directly to me.

Perfect!

I ask what the name of the place is and she says "Oh, Scott Laboratories. They don't normally sell to the public but call this number and they'll sell it to you."

Wow, what are the odds?

So it turns out that the only hitch is that they'll only sell it to me in 2.5 kg or 10 kg lots!!!

Even if I went with the 2.5 kilo offer (at $20/kg) I'd be able to make approximately 100 - 5 gallon batches of mead before I'd need more Fermaid K.....though it does have a shelf life so the other thing I'd need to do is come up with $100,000 to buy enough honey, carboys and bottles to make that much mead. :D

Yes this is a useless post but I thought it was kind of funny. Still, if I was a much more prolific mazer then this deal would be more than welcome.

Medsen Fey
05-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you're ready to go commercial. Salud! ;D

Chevette Girl
05-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey, Jord...

I'll see if any of the other vintners I know in this area are interested, maybe we can do a group order? Yeah, it's still a lot even split a couple ways, but what the heck, not like it goes bad or anything! (or does it??)

I'll start looking a little harder in Ottawa, if I find anything here I'll post about it... you'd think SOMEONE in the GTA would have the stuff.

Jord
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
if you go to the scott laboratories website you can see a list of their distributors....Festa Juice is one of the distributors and a store in Vaughan (GTA) said they'd give me some if I needed it. I'm up there fairly regularly for work so it's working out just fine for me. :)

From my understanding it does have a shelf life but I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than me can shed more light on that.

wayneb
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I've not seen specifics on the shelf-life of Fermaid-K, but Hightest ( http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/ShelfLife.pdf ) has augmented a list of the shelf lives of common meadmaking ingredients (originally from Ed Marks) that he has taken great pains to verify with the sources. His table lists 3 years as the life for Fermaid-K, but that would be for product that has been stored in cool, dry conditions.