PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

Alker
05-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Started a 6 gallon batch today, but I may have waited too long to pitch the yeast. I mixed the yeast with warm water, but it probably sat for 25 minutes or so before i poured it in. Its been about 12 hours and I'm still not seeing any activity in the airlock, and I know my fermenter is airtight. Is it too early to take a hydrometer reading? Is there any harm in pitching more yeast?
Recipe:
18 lbs orange blossom honey
1 cup green tea
2 packs Lalvin 71b
4.5 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
topped off with spring water up to about 6 gallons

sandman
05-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Give it at least 24 hours before thinking of doing anything. I've had fermentations take more than a day to finally start on occasion. What's the temperature in your brewing area?

Alker
05-29-2010, 01:26 PM
right now its about 70 degrees, but its sitting on the tile in my kitchen near a large window, so it may get a little cooler at night. i'll try moving it upstairs today. any other advice?

sandman
05-29-2010, 02:03 PM
That's all I've got for the moment. Let it sit until tomorrow and then if it hasn't picked up by the end of the weekend, then it might be time to consider repitching. Patience is the biggest virtue when making mead. It's also the most difficult aspect. ;D

d.j.patterson
05-29-2010, 05:09 PM
The biggest thing I have learned with mead is don't stress. My first batch took 60 hours to get past the lag phase. This is by no means normal, but it does happen. Relax and wait.

Chevette Girl
05-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't worry till 24 hours... and even then, only if it's something likely to spoil, like fresh fruit...

fatbloke
05-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Ha ha! I was using Chenin Blanc concentrate from a kit to back sweeten.

I'd excluded as much air from the bladder in the box but still got some mould growing in it after about 2 or 3 weeks.

So I panicked a bit (didn't want to lose about 50 worth of concentrate) and strained the whole lot, then sulphited it. I managed to find PET soda bottles to put 4litres in the fridge but still had enough left over to mix it with the right amount of water for 10 litres of must, so I just chucked the yeast in, lidded and airlocked the bucket and was hoping for the best.

That took something like 3 weeks to start fermenting - which it did, eventually.

So I wouldn't worry about a couple of days etc. It can take that long to make enough yeast cells to show obvious signs of fermentation.

You've got energiser and nutrient in the batch so it should have enough "umph" to get it going.

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and the only other thing you might consider for the moment is to aerate the must, once a day....... (sanitised handle of large plastic mixing spoon or paddle????)

Angelic Alchemist
05-31-2010, 01:54 AM
That's all I've got for the moment. Let it sit until tomorrow and then if it hasn't picked up by the end of the weekend, then it might be time to consider repitching. Patience is the biggest virtue when making mead. It's also the most difficult aspect. ;D

If we could figure out a way to bottle patience and sell it wholesale to the LHBS's, we'd be rich! It is the rarest and most exotic ingredient I know of -- and also makes the best meads.