• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First strawberry melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I will be making a strawberry melomel with OB honey and would like to get a yeast recommendation. I have 71B, K1V, RC212, and D47 in stock.

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks Medsen. I would like it off-dry at about 12 to 13% ABV. I am also thinking about using Wyeast Rudesheimer because I could re-pitch the yeast from the primary to make a riesling pyment, which I am also planning. According to the LHBS owner it matures rapidly and makes a very nice riesling pyment as well as other meads. Do you have any experience with it?

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
I just started a black raspberry melomel using 71B yeast. I'm partial to both 71B or D47 yeasts with my melomels. Both would do you well to get a 12-14% or maybe a little higher % ABV result. I've been using EC-1118 or K1-V1116 yeasts for my pyments. I'd suggest you use one of those or the Wyeast strain for your pyment and not repitch the yeast from the melomel for your pyment. Just my two cents.

Buzzer

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the input buzzerj. I think I wll use the Rudesheim yeast for the pyment but I have'nt decided what to use in the melomel. I might try D47 only because I would like to try something other than 71B which I've uesd a couple of times.

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Other than the yeast, which I have not decided on, I will use 18 lbs of orange blossom honey with enough water to get and OG of about 1.100 and then primary ferment to dryness. After this I plan to rack off 3 gal onto 1 oz of Hung oak cubes and make a traditional melomel, and to the remaining amount I will add at least 15 lbs of frozen strawberries and additional honey(so the added material has an approximate SG of 1.090 to 1.095) so that I will get about 5 gal of strawberry melomel, which when done fermenting, I will rack onto 1 to 2 oz French or Hung. oak cubes for aging. I will post the recipe when I start the brew.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns