PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation Temp

Cheshire_Cat
05-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi Everyone.

Thinking about trying to make some mead this weekend. My only concern is that summer is just about here. I live in the Bay Area (San Mateo) so in the summer it is warm but not crazy hot. We can get temp spikes though. I can usually keep my place at about 74 - 78 degrees in the summer, unless we get some really hot weather. I am new to brewing, only on my second batch of beer, but love mead and wanted to give this a try.

Thoughts on temp? Is this big concern? Should I wait until after summer?

I am looking to make a dry mead with the thought of carbonation later.

Also, anyone know a good, affordable, place to get honey in the Brea Area?

Angelic Alchemist
05-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Also, anyone know a good, affordable, place to get honey in the Brea Area?

Check the Saturday farmer's market in the Mission district of SF. They have a bee guy there - try the mountain flora if he has it in stock, and send some to me if you love it as much as I do! Look for the lady who plays the saw while you are there. She has a dancing cat.

Ah, memories.

Medsen Fey
05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Welcome to GotMead Cheshire_Cat!

Ideal temp depends on the recipe. For traditional meads, I prefer temps below 70F in most cases but some yeast can do a good job in the upper 70s. K1V would be my first choice. There is a high temperature fermentation test which is detailed in the Patron's area called the HotMead Yeast Test (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12645&highlight=hotmead) in which several strain were compared. There are some other tests that have also been done if you do a bit of searching.

If you are making a dark berry melomel, temps in the upper 70s may be fine, again, depending on the yeast.

It can certainly be done successfully.

Cheshire_Cat
05-31-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks Medsen. I got a champaign yeast, that is what my recipe called for. Still have no idea what all the different yeasts are :). I realized that I could fit my carboy in to my wine fridge (with some room left for wine even!). Tomorrow I going to give it a shot.