PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried using Piloncillo?

Nysrock
06-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Has anyone ever tried using Piloncillo in mead?

Definition: Piloncillo is made from pure, unrefined sugar that is pressed into a cone shape. It tastes very similar to brown sugar with a molasses flavor (even though it does not contain molasses) and you can use it for anything that calls for brown sugar. It's name means "little pylon" because of it's shape. The smaller cones are usually around 1 ounce and the larger ones around 8 ounces. They come in light, "blanco" and dark "oscura."

I was thinking about using some in some of the recipes that call for brown sugar. My wife uses it in empanadas so I thought it would help add some depth in the Apple Pie Cyser I want to try to make next.

Medsen Fey
06-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I've not tried it, but I think it would work fine in place of brown sugar in most recipes that use it. Please let us know how it turns out if you try it.

wayneb
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I've found that it provides a more "molasses-y" flavor than typical US commercial brown sugars, but that's about it. I've used it in two different recipes, with the same overall taste noted in both.

Nysrock
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping we can make it to Mexico next year to visit my wife's family and figured I'd pick up some along with some local honey to see what I can come up with.