PDA

View Full Version : Cherry JAO or JAC???

StevenGoodson
06-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Has anyone tried substituting cherries for oranges in Joe's Ancient Orange recipe? I've tried many searches on the forum; however, I can't find anyone who has attempted cherries.

Chevette Girl
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I've tried a number of variations on JAO (blackberry, tangelo, grapefruit, blood orange, lemon, cranberry, date, black raspberry, black currant, oriental crabapple, and playing with the spices), but not cherries... If you do, I'd recommend using sour pie cherries rather than the sweet ones, so far in my experiences I've found sweet eating cherries lend a wine lovely colour and little to no flavour...

StevenGoodson
06-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Interesting, I've read as much about that on several threads so, I have prepped about 4 pounds of sweet cherries, but am having an issue finding six pounds of fresh tart cherries, or even frozen ones. The Oregon puree and others all seem to be sweet cherries as well.

sattlerjm
06-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Trader Joes seems to be a popular place for dried sour cherries. I do not have one local to me so I cannot speak from experience. Here (http://www.traversebayfarms.com/cherryjuice.htm) is where I got cherry juice last time I needed it.

StevenGoodson
06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm in the same boat, the nearest Trader Joe's is about 120 miles from me, not to mention the price for these online.