View Full Version : Help Restore Beekeeping Merit Badges!

Medsen Fey
07-01-2010, 12:47 PM
I saw an interesting post on rec.crafts.meadmaking (http://groups.google.co.in/group/rec.crafts.meadmaking/browse_thread/thread/0b49cd8b6cc62a8a#) about a petition to reinstate Boy Scout merit badges for beekeeping. Apparently that merit badge was discontinued some years ago. As a mead maker and large consumer of honey, I definitely want to encourage youngsters to learn the art of beekeeping. Plus I figure the more hobbyists that are keeping bees, the less we have to worry about CCD.

Check out the link for signing the petition (http://www.experienceproject.com/beepetition) to reinstate the merit badge.

Good meading!

Chevette Girl
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I suppose this is US scouts only? (sorry, I don't know enough about the whole scouting organization to even know where to look to see if this is applicable to Canada as well)

07-02-2010, 03:18 AM
I think that's an awesome goal to set and I support it wholeheartedly. Just signed the petition too.

Tannin Boy
07-02-2010, 06:01 AM

I voted.... A wonderful experience for a child to have.

07-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Very much agree!

Voted and commented.

07-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't recall that merit badge, but then it has been a couple of decades since I last flipped through that book...

07-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Bees are totally rad. Even after they sting the crap outta you, they're still totally sweet. I once folded a beehive in half and swallowed it. Whole. Just kidding. Reality: bees are just about the most awesome pet there is, and require less work than you'd believe. And the benefits are numerous.... honey, stings to the face, honey, more honey... Just kidding about the stings to the face. Unless for some reason you decide to keep bees without a proper bee bonnet. In which case, I salute you sir. You and your ginormous cahonies. I may have spelt that wrong, but that doesn't detract from the fact that I mean it. For real. *SALUTE*

Will that work?

Anyone got some mead? I'm thirsty....

07-02-2010, 10:25 PM
that may be the funniest thing I've ever read, and ever written, all in one. Time and sobriety will tell.

Happy Independence Day!