PDA

View Full Version : When to rack to secondary

KevinJ
07-09-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a pyment I made from juice and a juice melomel I am considering racking to the secondary. When do you recommend racking them to the secondary? How many weeks, under what conditions, don't get it wet, don't expose them to bright light (especially sunlight) and NEVER get them wet, etc?

Cordially
-Gizmo

Medsen Fey
07-09-2010, 11:01 AM
... and NEVER get them wet, etc?

Huh?
What do mean by "get them wet?" ???

Usually I suggest racking them out of primary as soon as the fermentation is finished and the gravity has stopped dropping. Sometimes a little earlier is okay.

Chevette Girl
07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
... and don't forget, NEVER feed it after midnight. ("Gremlins" reference, Medsen!)

Secondary fermentation's kind of an arbitrary thing, you generally want a week minimum before you rack off fruits or spices so the flavours can come through and the yeast can chew away on the fruit, but otherwise you're pretty much safe as long as the fermentation's not still REALLY active (foaming and threatening meadsplosions when you go in to aerate, etc). Traditionally though, your specific gravity should indicate that most of the sugar is gone.

Medsen Fey
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
... and don't forget, NEVER feed it after midnight. ("Gremlins" reference, Medsen!)

Ahhh. Thank-you. That scurried right past me.