PDA

View Full Version : Need language advice from SCA / Ren Faire folk

Brad Dahlhofer
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
We're producing the mead for the Michigan Ren Faire this year, and we wanted the label to be representative of the times. Can someone give me some feedback on this description of an Orange Blossom mead? We need to submit our order for labels this week.

From whence there are citrus trees a-good come the honey which maketh this fine meade. Ye lords and ladies may sup on this nectar of the gods and find merriment in thine heart. Tis the finest meade in all the land. Huzzah!

sattlerjm
07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
The biggest Ren Fair geek I know just gave me a thumbs up.

Brad Dahlhofer
07-12-2010, 07:58 PM
The biggest Ren Fair geek I know just gave me a thumbs up.

Thanks. That's a HUGE help.

ckbryant
07-13-2010, 10:20 AM
I do appreciate that you used "ye" to mean "you," not "the." Although better Early Modern usage would perhaps be "my" lords and ladies--offering personal deference and respect to the audience. "You"--or ye--"lords and ladies" is perfectly good, but it does imply the speaker is placing himself on an equal or superior social footing to the persons being addressed.

For maximum awesomeness, use the actual thorn-superscript-e abbreviation in place of "the" on the label-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde

wayneb
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice job, Brad! But the real selling point of your mead will be the tasting -- once a few of the "staff" get tastes of your products, you'll likely sell out before the Ren Faire run is over.

;D

Angelic Alchemist
07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
The "Huzzah" is a great touch!

Brad Dahlhofer
07-14-2010, 04:42 AM
[QUOTE=ckbryant;145502 "You"--or ye--"lords and ladies" is perfectly good, but it does imply the speaker is placing himself on an equal or superior social footing to the persons being addressed.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried my meads?

TOTALLY JOKING!!!! :) They're really just the best I can do after learning from the best of this forum. You know who you are. ;)

Brad Dahlhofer
07-14-2010, 04:44 AM
Nice job, Brad! But the real selling point of your mead will be the tasting -- once a few of the "staff" get tastes of your products, you'll likely sell out before the Ren Faire run is over.

;D

Honestly Wayne. You are TOO kind. <blush>

Brad Dahlhofer
07-14-2010, 04:44 AM
The "Huzzah" is a great touch!

We were trying to keep things festive. :)

wayneb
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Honestly Wayne. You are TOO kind. <blush>

Yeah - usually I am too polite for my own good. But in this case, I speak truth. I would honestly expect that you'll sell all that you can carry out to the event... assuming those folks have any sort of appreciation for quality, that is. ;)

yabodie
07-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey Brad,
Is it possible you can sell your meads at the Maryland Renn Faire? The one that is sold there, well, is just horrible and I feel ashamed that folks are exposed to that.

Just a thought.

Brad Dahlhofer
07-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Most definitely. We already have distribution in Maryland. We just need someone to introduce me to the person/people in charge.

Hey Brad,
Is it possible you can sell your meads at the Maryland Renn Faire? The one that is sold there, well, is just horrible and I feel ashamed that folks are exposed to that.

Just a thought.

yabodie
07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Most definitely. We already have distribution in Maryland. We just need someone to introduce me to the person/people in charge.

Hmmm it looks like, according to this site ( http://www.rennfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=12 ), that a Mr. Justin Smith is in charge of food and beverage and I think you can use the email addess of info@rennfest.com . At least it is a start.

aczdreign
07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
My fiance and I go to the Texas Ren Fest every year, two or three weekends...But all they sell there is CHAUCERS!!!!!!
I have to thank the TRF, actually, for getting me into meadmaking...After tasting that chaucers (my first mead), I was like "uh-uh, no way...gonna have to do better than this!"
And then a meadmaker evolved.
;D

wildoates
07-16-2010, 03:17 PM

;D

I completely agree.

yabodie
07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
My fiance and I go to the Texas Ren Fest every year, two or three weekends...But all they sell there is CHAUCERS!!!!!!
I have to thank the TRF, actually, for getting me into meadmaking...After tasting that chaucers (my first mead), I was like "uh-uh, no way...gonna have to do better than this!"
And then a meadmaker evolved.
;D

This is the same reason I am making mead because the MDRF mead is just horrible, and I have to say that I DO better than that stuff...

Brad Dahlhofer
07-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Hmmm it looks like, according to this site ( http://www.rennfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=12 ), that a Mr. Justin Smith is in charge of food and beverage and I think you can use the email addess of info@rennfest.com . At least it is a start.

Great! Now does anybody know Justin personally?

PM Me!