PDA

View Full Version : Acerglyn not clearing

Fisher kel Tath
07-20-2010, 02:50 AM
Have an acerglyn, been in aging for almost 2 months now, and hasn't cleared a lick. Should I have added pectic enzyme? seems like a long time to not clear any.

Medsen Fey
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Should I have added pectic enzyme? seems like a long time to not clear any.

Pectic enzyme is only required if you added something that contains pectin. Many fruits do, but honey and maple syrup don't. Unless you added something with pectin, pectic enzyme will not help.

Two months is not long at all. If it isn't clear at 9 months to a year, then it is time to be concerned. If you can put it in a fridge now, that may speed the clearing dramatically.

Medsen

capoeirista13
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
only somewhat related, but how does an acerglyn taste in comparison to a cider/mead/beer? I was considering brewing up an acerglyn but I have no idea how fermented maple syrup tastes.

Fisher kel Tath
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Wish it would clear, I sampled it last night when changing the water in the airlocks, and it has a lot of actelahyde taste to it...

Fisher kel Tath
07-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Could a fining agent be helpful, thing is it has an acteldahyde (strong green apple) flavor to it (prolly from being on of my first times rehydrating a proper wine yeast), and my Trad had the same problem, and racking it onto a dose of k-meta took it away.

They're only about 3 weeks apart in the fermentation...

Medsen Fey
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
A green apple smell in a mead really isn't a fault. This isn't beer, and the fruit aromas are quite welcome to me. Over time the acetaldehyde will diminish as it binds and forms other compounds, some of which will produced other fruit aromas. Letting it age will give it time to develop, and will give it time to clear.

Fining agents are definitely effective, and I prefer either Bentonite or Sparkolloid, but I wouldn't suggest using them until you've given it time to clear on its own. Is there a reason you are in a hurry to get this one clear?

Fisher kel Tath
07-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Cause out of all my meads in aging, this is the most likely to be bottled first, it's medium. the other is my traditional and the once horridly bitter blood orange

Medsen Fey
07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
The most difficult ingredient to find for mead making is patience. Getting fermentation done is the easy part of making mead; the yeast do all the work. The hard part is leaving it alone until it clears and matures - that's what really tests your discipline.

Fisher kel Tath
08-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I have nothing wrong with waiting (though I'd like to wait with it bottled rather than bulked for the most part). So should I be worried it's not dropped anything out of suspension?

Medsen Fey
08-02-2010, 02:14 PM
So should I be worried it's not dropped anything out of suspension?

No.
If you can stick it in a fridge that is one of the faster ways to move things along. If you can't put it in a fridge, stick it in a dark closet somewhere and leave it alone (except check the airlock once in a while) for the next 3 months, then take a look.

In the meantime, if you haven't done a JAO or Joe's Grape Pyment, give one of those a whirl so you can have something that will be drinkable while you let this batch clear.

Fisher kel Tath
08-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Surprisingly enough, I don't have a problem not drinking my mead, in fact I dislike it, and can usually get by on the racking remnants for months.

I cold crashed it before I racked it to secondary...

Medsen Fey
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Unless you left it in the fridge for several weeks, it didn't have time to have much impact.

I'm a bit curious about disliking the mead? Does this apply just to the batches you've made so far, or to meads you've tasted in general?

JB175
08-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Not sure what you're going for recipe/flavor wise, but oak might be helpful. It will aid in clearing, and I've found medium toast oak works very well well flavor/aroma-wise with an acerglyn. I've used different combinations of American, French, and Hungarian cubes and barrels - all with positive results.

Fisher kel Tath
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Unless you left it in the fridge for several weeks, it didn't have time to have much impact.

I'm a bit curious about disliking the mead? Does this apply just to the batches you've made so far, or to meads you've tasted in general?

No, just the fact everything has been 1gal batches till recently, and if I drink it now, I won't be able to drink it later, and thus I never drink it. It's nothing to do with flavors, as they've been greatly received (to the point of someone who had tasted a 2oz sample of racking remnants from the day of racking thinks I should go professional o.O)

Same way I am with beer, a 6 pack can last me 3 months >.>

Chevette Girl
08-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Same way I am with beer, a 6 pack can last me 3 months >.>

You're not the only one... I think my record was a beer in the fridge door for 6 months before someone finally drank it... and I'm pretty sure there was a vodka cooler in there for a year. I am going to have to start drinking more, especially now that I'm getting into bigger batches, I'm running out of storage room for bottled product! And it never really occurs to me to pop open a bottle, other than special occasions... and a lot of my friends either can't drink, or can't drink much for various reasons...

Fisher kel Tath
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
To put it simple I enjoy making the mead, more than drinking it. Thus I want to bottle it sooner, so I can make more :P

Chevette Girl
08-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Hee hee, you're definitely not alone... I'm the same way with winemaking, baking, preserving... I like a taste here and there along the way but generally am not a huge consumer of my own stuff...

Fisher kel Tath
08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Also, was reminded of another reason I'm nervous about this batch is that the syrup was 16 dollars for 24oz, and it;s the most expensive mead to date I've made :P

Chevette Girl
08-07-2010, 11:55 PM
With my acerglyns I don't even think about bottling for a year...

Fisher kel Tath
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
You prolly have more gear than me :P

I'm looking at going to have to break down and buy another set of gallon jugs I think, I have 2 more meads to make for the fall, then 3 for winter...

Chevette Girl
08-08-2010, 05:40 PM
You prolly have more gear than me :P

More than likely... but I use a plastic juice jug for my 1-gal aerglyn batches so all it needs is a $4 stopper & airlock... and even so, I'm out of space again ;)

Fisher kel Tath
08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
More than likely... but I use a plastic juice jug for my 1-gal aerglyn batches so all it needs is a $4 stopper & airlock... and even so, I'm out of space again ;)

Like a milk jug?

Chevette Girl
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Like a milk jug?
I'd buy a gallon of distilled/spring water for its bottle before I used a jug that's been used for milk, but I'm funny that way... I'd use plastic gallon juice jugs, water jugs, cider jug but I wouldn't want to run the risk of milk bacteria staying in the plastic... if it's plastic and didn't contain something I'd ferment or add to wine/mead in the first place then it's not something I'd make wine in. But I freely admit, I have my sanitary convictions that may be a little overdone.

Fisher kel Tath
08-09-2010, 01:41 PM
just asking for clarification, plastic jug could range from milk jug to better bottle really

Medsen Fey
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I got my most recent one gallon jug at the grocery store. It was a jug of pasteurized apple juice. The jug cost me $6, but I get free gallon of cyser (just add yeast and honey :) )

Fisher kel Tath
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Yea my grocery store doesn't sell anything in 1g glass bottles beside cheap wine...

capoeirista13
08-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Yea my grocery store doesn't sell anything in 1g glass bottles beside cheap wine...

same, except i need to go at least a state away to get even that, pa
s liquor laws are insane

Chevette Girl
08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, in Ontario you can't just get booze at the corner store either... it's ALL regulated... there are a few grocery stores with a wine or liquor store within but they're generally separate rooms, separate checkout and sometimes even separate hours.

capoeirista13
08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
yeah in philly its all bars/restaurants and wine-and-spirit stores and beer distributors

Fisher kel Tath
08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Well pulled a sample from this, the apple taste is gone... I think...hard to tell when the sample causes your tongue to go numb....

Chevette Girl
08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Hee hee, that'll take some time to cool off... got any rockets to fuel up? :)

capoeirista13
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Well pulled a sample from this, the apple taste is gone... I think...hard to tell when the sample causes your tongue to go numb....

lol, I had one like that, took over a year to be palatable

Fisher kel Tath
08-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Is it possible I set some sort of chill haze in this mead?

Fisher kel Tath
08-30-2010, 05:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Rikadyn/DSC_4948.jpg

Figured I'd take a picture as i was changing the airlock.

icedmetal
08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Yup, that just needs to sit for about a year. It'll probably clear up a lot before then, but no point in getting impatient; that's how you end up with sediment in your bottles.

My wife and I bottled our first meads after 8 months. Believe we've found sediment in every bottle. Next time (this time!) we're waiting longer, and ensuring the sediments are gone. We may even use clarifier at some point, but we most assuredly will not bottle while sediment is still dropping. Once it's in the bottle it's a lot of work to contemplate doing anything with it, other than drinking.

akueck
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Looks like it's coming along nicely. If you're in a terrible rush you could try using sulfite/sorbate to knock out the yeast, then adding a fining agent (Sparkolloid works great for me). Even then you're looking at 2-4 weeks for all that to work, then racking it again and waiting at least another month to make sure it's done dropping fluff. For all we know, after 2 months it might clear on its own. [Saying that, I've rushed clearing a few times myself for similar reasons. Worked fine. ;D]

Chill haze is unlikely, since it fixes itself once the mead warms up. It's usually a protein haze, I believe, and mead won't have much soluble protein in the first place. You're more likely to find it in beer where the mash parameters were a little wonky. And the cure...don't chill it so much! Or you can chill it, form the haze, let the haze settle out, and rack it cold.

Fisher kel Tath
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't see how sulfite/sorbate for the 2nd time would help >.>

akueck
08-31-2010, 08:46 PM
And I tried to read through the old posts too. Whoops!

Sorbate again certainly is unnecessary. Sulfite does wear off over time, however, so if you go a long time between using it to knock out the yeast and bottling time, you might consider another small addition.

Fisher kel Tath
09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
well aint that something, It cleared (mostly) this week...I attribute it to night time lows in the upper 40s and me sleeping with a window open and a fan on still :P