PDA

View Full Version : Question about Dry Traditionals

Fisher kel Tath
07-25-2010, 11:13 PM
What are some taste characteristics to look for in a dry traditional (Clover/K1V)

Medsen Fey
07-26-2010, 11:59 AM
You may get any number of aromas that will be produced. Honey, the aroma of clover, other floral character, grassy notes, stone fruits, and of course (being sensitive to acetaldehyde) apples. There can be many others that crop up as well. When you taste it some, of these may come through in the flavor, but the honey/clover will probably be dominant.

What are you finding?

Medsen

Fisher kel Tath
07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Hmm that it's really thin, a little alcohol, and something on the back end that really really reminds me of Sake.

Medsen Fey
07-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I take it this is a new mead?

What recipe did you follow? how old is it?

AToE
07-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll also ask how old? I usualy get that impression in the first few months, but it completely fills out as it gets older.

Fisher kel Tath
07-26-2010, 06:57 PM
4 months since pitching date

Medsen Fey
07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
At 4 months of age, you really cannot judge a dry mead. Give it another year and you'll be able to see what it turns into. The aroma usually develops quite a bit over that time and the body may develop as well.

If it is a low ABV mead, however, it may remain thin. What was the starting gravity, the final gravity, the yeast, etc.?

Fisher kel Tath
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
At 4 months of age, you really cannot judge a dry mead. Give it another year and you'll be able to see what it turns into. The aroma usually develops quite a bit over that time and the body may develop as well.

If it is a low ABV mead, however, it may remain thin. What was the starting gravity, the final gravity, the yeast, etc.?

OG: 1.100
FG: 0.990
Yeast: K1V rehydrated with go ferm, Fermaid-K was used twice.

Medsen Fey
07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
It may need some acidity to brighten the flavor so it doesn't taste flat (depending on the honey), but you have something with 14% ABV so it should develop body and aroma and flavor with age. The honey aroma comes back with dry meads after several months. You can check the acid by taking a glass and adding a few drops of lemon juice (or a tiny bit of acid blend) to see if that perks up the flavor.

I don't like to make traditional dry meads at 14% ABV because I find the alcohol is too "hot" for my tastes in most cases (giving the Sake sensation), but it normally mellows with age as the alcohol integrates. I think this mead may yet earn your favor, but it will need another year to get there. I'd store it away someplace and taste it again at Christmas.

Fisher kel Tath
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
It may need some acidity to brighten the flavor so it doesn't taste flat (depending on the honey), but you have something with 14% ABV so it should develop body and aroma and flavor with age. The honey aroma comes back with dry meads after several months. You can check the acid by taking a glass and adding a few drops of lemon juice (or a tiny bit of acid blend) to see if that perks up the flavor.

I don't like to make traditional dry meads at 14% ABV because I find the alcohol is too "hot" for my tastes in most cases (giving the Sake sensation), but it normally mellows with age as the alcohol integrates. I think this mead may yet earn your favor, but it will need another year to get there. I'd store it away someplace and taste it again at Christmas.

I bought a bottle of Oliver mead, and I get the same notes from it as I do mine, so I think it's coming from the clover...

wayneb
07-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Having had a few Oliver meads, I can confirm that the characteristic of clover honey is very predominant in their products.