• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Saving a batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

dacj501

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Forgive the lack of any real info regarding this mead, my brew log was lost.

I've got a 6 gallon batch made with wildflower honey, a quart bottle of Mexican vanilla extract and Pasteur Champaigne yeast. I did not take hydrometer readings when pitched. The result after some year or so is very pale yellow, weakly alcoholic and has little flavor. I remember using up the last of that year's honey making this batch, which was supposed to be a 3 gallon batch. I am not sure how it ended up in a full 6 gallon carboy...

I am thinking there was far too little honey initially to support a batch that big. I am looking for suggestions on how best to revive or re-purpose this batch. There isn't any more room really in the carboy, and its my largest. I'm thinking of splitting it into 2 smaller batches, kind of using it as my starting water, just measuring SG to get desired starting point and throwing in some new yeast for one of them. I am thinking about using the other as a starter for something, but i can't decide A) if I should re-purpose it like this, and B) if I do, what best would work. There is vanilla flavor present that ought to present in the new concoction...

I'd love to get opinions/suggestions
Thx!
Darryl

dacj501

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I suppose you can always use it for blending stock to take the edge off batches that are too hot/tart/spicy/etc. It might help to know more info about it. What is the current gravity? Can you get an ABV reading (using a refractometer or spirit indication).

I've never done the spirit indication method, seems simple enough. I will take readings and post in day or so.

dacj501

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 20, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Ok, so I'm not much into the science part of this, and I usually skip it as much as is possible to still get drinkable batches...so, I didn't do a spirit indication test on this, but I did rack it into my 2 3 gallon carboys to make space for the choco-java and had about 1 gallon left over (I left some room in the 3 gals so I could pitch some new honey into the mix). I mixed together a gallon of honey in with the leftover gallon of weak sauce. After mixing with the lees stirrer for a while I split the new must between the 3 gallon carboys.

I took SG reading at this point, and it is 1.050.

I am watching a bit to see if any yeasties are still alive in there and were just starved for food - if so, they should be able to find some now. If fermentation fails to restart I'll pitch a new packet of Pasteur champagne yeast in and see what happens...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You could have tried carbonating some of it :) it's often what I do when I've over-diluted something... make wine coolers out of it!

If you end up having to re-pitch I'd suggest using a large volume starter just to make sure things get going well...

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
That's what I was thinking! Stabilize, add some fruit juice, keg and force carbonate! Sounds like a yummy hydromel.

Blending or adding more honey might work too. Get some nutrient in there. Might need some oxygen too. But that gets risky if it is really higher alcohol than you think. You might end up with a port from the oxygenation! Then add liqour and call it a port! There is always a way to make it better. :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns