PDA

View Full Version : fastest mead

sdogg73
07-26-2010, 07:21 AM
I have made two batches of mead. the first I was stupid and used five gallons of water and 15 pounds of honey inststead of brining the grand total to five gallons. I ended up with a very watered down mead.

My second batch was a hit with evryone who tried it.

Ok, you now know my mead making experience so on to my question.

I am in iraq and I have a leave coming up soon. what is the fastest way possible to make a batch of mead? I read the simple one gallon recipe that says it takes about two months, but I was hoping to get a buddy to start a batch now and was wondering if it would be of decent quality in only a months time.

I know a batch of beer can be done in a few weeks, just trying to find a way to do the same with mead.

socpsy
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Joe, of "Joe's Ancient Orange" :), posted a recipe for a 3 week mead. It can be found here. (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=70576&postcount=7) I've made this and, personally, I prefer to let it age longer.

sandman
07-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Start a big batch of JAO (like 5 gallons or more) while you're on leave as well. Make an event out of it with your friends. That wasy you'll have something to really look forward to sharing at the redeployment party when you come home. Trust me, I remember... PM me and I can give you some pointers on field expedient umm... projects you can pursue while you're out in the sandbox. It's amazing what can be accomplished with an empty Benedetto's (or Gatorade bottle) and some ingenuity. Do they still give the big water bottles out or are they all the normal size smaller ones now?
:cheers:
*Trivia* I came up with the name Sandman while I was downrange. (30 months in just over 4 years) (early '03 to mid '07)

akueck
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
You'll notice a theme for quick meads: sweet and low alcohol. Most beer falls under these guidelines as well. Aim for ~10-12% with some residual sugar and you can expect that they'll be drinkable soon.

Bread yeast is a good way to get the low alcohol with residual sugar. You can experiment with ale yeasts as well, though many will power up to about 13-14% if you let them. Adding non-fermentable sugars is handy: lactose is one, larger sugars found in partially converted malts are another. In a pinch you can go the stevia/sucralose route (or ack! Sweet & Low).

One thing that I always mention, though for some reason folks usually consider "cheating", is blending when you serve it. Take a 10% dry mead and mix in some simple syrup (or flavored if you like), honey, maple syrup, etc when you pour it in your glass. This makes the mead end of things easier (you can use wine yeast and get full fermentation) and lets you dial in the sweetness to whatever you want, glass by glass.

Angelic Alchemist
07-26-2010, 03:23 PM
There's a guy at Sherwood who claims to have a yeast strain from his great grandfather of viking descent. He says that his strain can make a 5gal batch of sweet party mead in 1 week flat that tips the scales at 10-12% abv. Personally, I didn't believe him and I didn't think the keg of mead he brought to the party was not all that good. Correct me if I'm wrong for calling bs on the chap?

Jord
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
There's a guy at Sherwood who claims to have a yeast strain from his great grandfather of viking descent. He says that his strain can make a 5gal batch of sweet party mead in 1 week flat that tips the scales at 10-12% abv. Personally, I didn't believe him and I didn't think the keg of mead he brought to the party was not all that good. Correct me if I'm wrong for calling bs on the chap?

Well my 6 US gallon cyser that I made fermented completely in 8 days and ended somewhere between 10 - 12%.....though I don't think anyone would want much more than a taste at that point. It was by far the best young product I've made so far but still...come on....

Assuming he's talking about serving it after fermenting for a week I'd say bs unless you like really yeasty mead....but I'm still a newb so what do I know really.....

AToE
07-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I can easily ferment a batch that fast (I could probably do 2 or 3 in that time if I pushed it), but it'll be garbage for months!

akueck
07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
It's doable. Filter or heavily fine it to get rid of the suspended yeast, stabilize and make sure there is tons of sugar in there. I'm sure it would be "drinkable" but at the same time far from the best it could be.

wildoates
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM

He sounds like the guy I met at the Scottish Games a few months ago, doesn't he?! :)

sdogg73
07-29-2010, 07:06 AM
thanks for all the help, i have a friend starting some JAO for me but it will only get 6 weeks tops so it may not finish but if it tastes good I'll be happy. Ill probably end up picking up some chaucers or something. sadly chaucers is about the only mead carried at our local stores. although occasinally I will see a missouri mead on there.

mesar
07-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I had a 5 gallon batch that I put in 5 packs on yeast, D-47, then I stepped the nutrients and stirred twice a day. it was around 9% in 7 days, and I actually liked the flavor. It didn't stop till it was 18% though, so I'm gonna make another batch like that but will have to stop the fermentation at 10% by sticking it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, unless someone knows of another way to stop it.

Jord
07-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I had a 5 gallon batch that I put in 5 packs on yeast, D-47, then I stepped the nutrients and stirred twice a day. it was around 9% in 7 days, and I actually liked the flavor. It didn't stop till it was 18% though, so I'm gonna make another batch like that but will have to stop the fermentation at 10% by sticking it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, unless someone knows of another way to stop it.

Only put in enough honey to get to 10% ABV and the stabilize and backsweeten if necessary.