PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Mead

crimsondrac
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi guys,

Well, I have been reading up on a lot of different recipes and one that caught my attention was a recipe for Coffee Mead. So, for Aug. 7th, Mead Day, I decided to brew up a small, 1 gallon batch. From most posts, people either loved it or hate it.

I cold brewed 1 gallon of coffee for 24 hours as this does not impart much of the oils or acidity into the coffee. Strained out the grounds through some cheese cloth and split it, 50-50. In the first jug, poured in 3 lbs of store bought honey. Wanted to go cheap since it may turn out bad. lol. Stirred vigorously for 5 minutes to make sure it was all mixed in and well aerated. Added coffee from second jug to almost full, leaving plenty of room for yeast to expand. Also added a small handful of raisins, 8 -10, for some added food for the yeasties. Do not think that will change the flavor any. Rehydrated and pitched 1 packet of K1V into the must. SG is 1.13.

So far, it is bubbling away nicely. The airlock bubbles about every 10-14 secs.

So has anyone actually ever tried one? Some recipes say you should not add the coffee until you are ready to back flavor the mead. I wanted to try with straight coffee. I imagine one has to like coffee to begin with, in order to even have a chance at liking coffee mead.

crimsondrac
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, 5 days since starting this batch and it is still bubbling away nicely. Airlock bubbles about every 10 secs. Been pretty consistant over the last 3-4 days. I am surprised. Did not think coffee used instead of water would work this well. Just hope it does not stall.

AToE
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Though coffee could potentially cause some acidity problems, I bet it's more help than hinderance. A honey-water must has almost no nutrients for yeast, so replacing that water with something that (I assume) is more nutrient dense is probably very good for the yeast.