PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin and flavor reduction

BostonBrewin
08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I have a JAO/strawberry mead that I'm considering adding gelatin to (I need it for a wedding in a month). It's ready to drink and tastes great however it is much darker/cloudy than I want it. The mead was cleared before I racked onto strawberries. It is now kegged and carbonated.

Question: will adding gelatin to help clear it pull out a significant amount of flavor and/or mouthfeel?

I found many topics on this but couldn't find much on gelatins affect on taste.

thanks

wayneb
08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Gelatin mostly binds tannins and anthocyanins, so it will affect both the flavor and the color of your mead. I prefer to use a commercial product called "Hot Mix Sparkolloid" for clearing my problematic meads and melomels, as I find that it has less of an effect on the taste or the look, mostly doing nothing but a relatively fast clearing.

Medsen Fey
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Gelatin can have an impact on color/flavor as can any fining agent if used in too high an amount. Using the minimum needed for clearing is best (but not easy to determine without a series of test).

One important tip - to perform successful fining, you need a still mead. The fining agents will just be buoyed around in a mead that still has CO2 dissolved, so you'll probably need to completely degas, perform the fining and then carbonate it again.