PDA

View Full Version : Chevettes!

Chevette Girl
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok, so I've been outed.

My name is AJ and I am a Chevette addict.

Yes, I still drive a Chevette, it's not just a name and an avatar (and wine label as per silliness - http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15809). 1982 maroon automatic 4-door Pontiac Acadian (in the US, it was called a Pontiac 1000) but it's the same as a Chevette except for the decals and badges. It's the 4th one I've owned and the oldest, 319,000 km on the original engine, had 3 major structural repairs and I'd do it again. Bought in 2002 with 90,000 km and it's been my daily driver ever since. I loathe front-wheel drive and am not willing to sacrifice fuel efficiency for 4x4 or all wheel drive. And about the only thing I will talk about online more than my wines is my Beast. The first car I ever drove was my friend's Chevette, then a few years later (driving 1970's Oldsmobiles) I got my dad's Acadian when he upgraded to a Civic and have been refusing to give up on them ever since.

Any other diehard Chevetters out there aside from Wayneb, for whom I seem to have reawakened the bug?

Any happy Chevette memories? I think my favourites include that winter a couple years ago where we got a couple feet of snow at a time dumped on us, I have NEVER had so much fun driving in my whole life, every (safe) corner sideways! Whooo!!!

wayneb
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Yes, I admit it. My name is WayneB and I once owned a Chevette (1980 H.O. with a 5 speed manual and air conditioning), which I actually enjoyed driving....

I don't know whether to be relieved, elated, or embarrassed! :-[ But I will be looking for another one soon.

d.j.patterson
08-11-2010, 01:48 PM
If you are going to go old school, go waaaaayyy old school. She is semi-retired now, but my '54 Willys Wagon was my daily driver for four years.

wayneb
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh, I do way old-school as well, with a '50 Olds 88 that doesn't see any active road time any more... but the Chevette has its own unique appeal.

d.j.patterson
08-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Now I am sad that I don't have any cool Chevette stories. :(

Chevette Girl
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh, I do way old-school as well, with a '50 Olds 88 that doesn't see any active road time any more... but the Chevette has its own unique appeal.

I saw the original "STAR WARS" in the back seat of a '76 Olds Delta 88 (I was 3, so it was more like "hid from" than "saw") at a drive-in theatre, and fell in love with the '77 Cutlass Supreme when I drove it in high school... the back seat of the Cutlass is currently in my basement pretending to be a loveseat.

I think the 'vette is as old-school as I can afford...at least till I win the lottery and get a Dodge Challenger. I like what they've done with the remake, I really do (as much as I loathe what they did to the Charger), but nothing compares with the original, saw one yesterday... <drool>

Chevette Girl
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Photos of my Acadians are here: http://www.chevettes.com/showroom.php?section=po&page=12 , bottom of pg 12, top of pg 13... The red one is the first one I had (no I can't still fit in those jeans), the maroon one is the one I'm driving now, 4 years older than the red one but much better shape...

wayneb
08-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I forgot to mention that my dad also had a Chevette - a '78, which was what prompted me to buy mine in the first place. It was an eminently practical car for the day... and with gas prices creeping back up, perhaps the present day as well.

As long as we're talking about cars to "drool" over, when I win the lottery I will replace my first ever personal machine -- a 1968 Olds Cutlass (442). I originally bought it from my Aunt when I graduated from high school in '73 (yeah - I really am a dinosaur!). She got a great deal on it using her GM employee purchase discount. She originally thought she was just going to get a Cutlass Supreme, but apparently the dealer filled out the purchase order incorrectly and they shipped something entirely different! ;D

Good for me, because she was somewhat afraid of the thing from the moment that she took delivery of it, and she was happy to sell it to me for well below book value at the time.

Man, I really miss that machine....

fatbloke
08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Damn, that's one ugly car........

You lot on't western side of pond often make some quite pretty motors (normally - though the one the threads about.... well.....:puke:), but they don't tend to do corners very well do they.......

As for RWD ? In our house, we use our "noodle" and stick with BMW (for the last 12 years....)

Chevette Girl
08-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Damn, that's one ugly car........

You lot on't western side of pond often make some quite pretty motors (normally - though the one the threads about.... well.....:puke:), but they don't tend to do corners very well do they.......

Oi!! You lot over there have (had?) them too, they're called Vauxhalls! And they weren't all hatchbacks either, I think they're kind of cute as a non-hatch. http://www.chevettes.com/showroom.php?section=va&page=55

As for ugly, go look up the Nissan Cube. OMG, :puke: ...