PDA

View Full Version : cons to pectic enzyme?

aczdreign
08-12-2010, 06:46 PM
So I found a new honey supplier today, when I went by his place, the first thing I saw was a huge table with 10-12 5 gallon carboys on it.

Awesome.

Anyway, on to my question, he recommended using pectic enzyme in the must (even without fruit), as the honey clears faster regardless.
I was under the impression that pectic enzyme was mainly used with fruits, the idea of using it in a traditional is new to me, but that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.
So my question is: Is there a downside to using pectic enzyme in a situation that may not call for it?

wayneb
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
There is no down side to using pectic enzyme in any mead must, as long as you don't overdose it. I've never heard of adding it to a traditional, honey only, recipe - and I honestly cannot see how it can help clearing. Has he actually done an A-B comparison of the same recipe at the same time, one with enzyme added and one without? I have to admit I'm skeptical that it would have any effect.

Chevette Girl
08-13-2010, 12:47 AM
My thoughts exactly... sounds like it's time for another test... :)

aczdreign
08-13-2010, 02:00 AM
There is no down side to using pectic enzyme in any mead must, as long as you don't overdose it. I've never heard of adding it to a traditional, honey only, recipe - and I honestly cannot see how it can help clearing. Has he actually done an A-B comparison of the same recipe at the same time, one with enzyme added and one without? I have to admit I'm skeptical that it would have any effect.

I didn't think to ask him, he just mentioned that that's how he usually did it.

I need to go grab another 1gal so I can run some tests of my own! :)