PDA

View Full Version : Hey Friends - It's Been A While

WRATHWILDE
08-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I haven't been brewing much this past year... I have about 50+ gallons bulk aging.

I was hoping some of my friends here at got mead might help my brother win a contest over at fstoppers. It takes a registration and a couple of posts, plus a followup to vote.

He's currently unemployeed and trying to get a photography business started. The prize is a Canon 7D. He currently has a cheap Rebel as his main camera.

Here's his web page and the instructions to follow before you can vote. There is a 3 day time limit to vote so please act now. Confirmation for me took 4 hours before I got an email saying I was eligable to vote, your time might vary.

His entry is Spitfire. If my advice or recipes have helped you in the past please vote. He's only 7 votes from the lead, please help push him over the top.

His link, includes instructions.

http://www.sanstalbot.com/contest/

Cheers,
Wrathwilde (Jered Talbot)

Jord
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Just waiting for my confirmation email for registering and then it's off to share my vast knowledge of photography through three posts! :)

...and then vote of course.

Medsen Fey
08-19-2010, 04:26 PM
I've started the process, but boy, they make it tough!

What I want to know is can I use that picture for a mead label. That chick is hot (literally)! I could see that working for a capsicumel!

d.j.patterson
08-19-2010, 04:37 PM
waiting for confirmation

sima74
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
It let me vote right away. That was a great video. Hope he gets it.

wayneb
08-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey, Jered! We missed you around here!!

I also will vote, as soon as they get around to confirming my membership and all the other misc. preamble that has to be done first....

WRATHWILDE
08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks everyone,

I'm really impressed with the work Sans has been doing with his photography. If he doesn't win I'm thinking of buying him the Canon 7D myself... because I'm that impressed with his work. So basically I'm pleading with you guys to help save my wallet from a $1500 bite. I know the 4 posts and a wait to vote are a hassle, but he has a really good chance of winning this, there are only three days left and I'd like to see his vote count become untouchable. If he happens to be winning when you log on to the site, please continue to jump through the hoops to vote. It means a lot to me, and not just because my wallet might take a $1500 hit if he doesn't win. It would mean the world to him too.

Here's the link again...

http://www.sanstalbot.com/contest

In response to your question, Medsen Fey, I don't think he'd have a problem with it being used as a "Non-Commercial" mead label for your personal use, but I'll ask him in any case. He might ask that you keep his name on the image though. I'll get back to you on that.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
08-20-2010, 04:06 AM
What I want to know is can I use that picture for a mead label. That chick is hot (literally)! I could see that working for a capsicumel!

Sans says you are welcome to use the image. He'll even get you a higher resolution copy if you like. He would like a bottle as a keepsake if you do make a batch.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Medsen Fey
08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
He would like a bottle as a keepsake if you do make a batch.

Deal!

I'm trying to vote, but they never sent the confirmation email. I re-registerd using a different e-mail, and that seemed to work, so now I just have to wait.

By the way, Sans video explaining the process of making that image was really interesting.

d.j.patterson
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
It's been 24 hours and I haven't received my confirmation email either.

Medsen Fey
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
When I registered with a different e-mail, I got the confirmation almost instantly. Perhaps some spam blockers keep it out?

d.j.patterson
08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Sure enough I tried a different email account and got the confirmation instantly. Strange given that both accounts are with hotmail.

wayneb
08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Weird! I still have not received my posting confirmation either (more than 24 hrs after I registered), although the site recognizes me and allows me to log in.

Wrath, I'm not gonna dump 'N' emails on this site in order to secure the "privilege" of posting, as much as I'd like to vote for your brother's work -- it really is pretty darned good, BTW. Still, I don't want to create even more spam problems for my work emails; if they can't get their internet crap together and approve my gmail account, they're not going to get me to play.

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't expect anyone to dump a bunch of emails. All I can think of is that maybe you didn't post on the voting tread, and then another 3. If you followed all the directions I don't know what to say... except maybe check to see if the reply got sent to your spam folder.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

PS - Sans is within four votes of the lead, I'm asking anyone whose logged on and sees this to help me save $1500 by following the link to his site and following the instructions to vote for his spitfire video.

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I want to thank everybody again, right now my little brother is tied for first place!!! You helped make it possible. There's only two days left to vote, if anyone else here is willing to step up and push him into the lead, I'd be eternally grateful. If he wins I'll send a bottle of mead to everyone here who voted for him, just let me know the forum name you used on fstoppers to confirm. (USA residents only for the Mead, sorry)

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

wildoates
08-21-2010, 02:06 PM
That'd still be cheaper than buying him the camera. :)

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 02:16 PM
That'd still be cheaper than buying him the camera. :)

Exactly!

Cheers,
Wrethwilde

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for all your help so far.

Sans is currently in 1st place (by 1 point). The contest is almost over. Anybody who wants to claim a free bottle of my mead will have to respond here and prove they followed the instructions and at least attempted to vote. Time is running out.

All of my meads have been bulk aging for at least two years. I've got Blueberry, Sourwood/Snowberry Meads and I believe there is an Acerglyn bulk aging as well. You have to vote to claim a bottle. Bottling will be done in November, hopefully in time for Thanksgiving. I've got over 50 gallons ready to bottle, so now is your chance to get in on the action.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

mmclean
08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Just voted, "Spitfire" by Sans Talbot is in the lead by five votes.

As a hobby photographer, I was glad to vote for Sans. Really good pic, really good video. Real talent.

Really, I just voted for free mead.

Looks like you are going to have to pay up Wrethwilde! :eek:

mmclean (aka, askme2flashu)

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Really, I just voted for free mead.

Looks like you are going to have to pay up Wrathwilde! :eek:

mmclean (aka, askme2flashu)

That's the Spirit!!!

I don't mind at all, it'll be a lot cheaper than buying him a $1500 camera. I am serious, if he loses I'll be buying him one for Christmas.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

WRATHWILDE
08-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Weird! I still have not received my posting confirmation either (more than 24 hrs after I registered), although the site recognizes me and allows me to log in.

You could try contacting them from the email account you registered, their email is contactfstoppers@gmail.com

storm1969
08-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Waiting....

Medsen Fey
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
You could try contacting them from the email account you registered, their email is contactfstoppers@gmail.com

Done that.

Waiting....

Doing more of that....

mmclean
08-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Started shooting photography late summer of 2005.

My Gear: Nikon D-200 Sigma 18-200mm DC f/3.5-6.3 Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D Vivitar Series 1 60mm f/2.5 Macro Kenko Extension Tube Set DG, one alienbees 800 flash and one backdrop.

My photo blogs.
http://askme2flashu.blogspot.com/
http://photographybymmclean.blogspot.com/

Medsen Fey
08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Finally!

I was able to get a vote in.
But I never have received an email confirmation on the original registration.

wayneb
08-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Well, they finally sent me the confirmation email link, so I have as of now logged on and made my 3 thread comments... now let's hope they get around to noticing so I can be allowed to vote on the poll before the contest ends!

I wish that people who run things like this would be a bit more responsive to their sites... their "who cares" attitude is so not-Gotmead! :rolleyes:

And Wrath, you know that I would do this even if you hadn't offered the mead! ;D

WRATHWILDE
08-22-2010, 01:14 AM
And Wrath, you know that I would do this even if you hadn't offered the mead! ;D

I know a lot of you would, trying to pick up on the otherwise unmotivated vote. There is an entry thats coming up fast, had 2 or three votes a couple of days ago, now has overtaken the early leaders. Evidently the guy has almost 900 facebook friends and has been messaging them to get out the vote. At the rate he's going he'll probably win. >:(

Still need all the help we can get, free mead to anyone who does vote (continental US, on condition Sans' entry wins), just follow mmclean's example so I can verify your user name and # of posts.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Manzik
08-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Aw, was going to vote but being at work they have it blocked. Military networks don't trust anyone. Guess that's life. :( Will just have to drink my own mead. lol :)

Hope he wins!!

wayneb
08-22-2010, 10:11 AM
My vote is now in, and since I do no a thing or two about photography myself, I was glad to see that not only was I doing this as a favor for a friend, but Sans actually does provide lots of good info on some cool positioning and lighting technique. You deserve the win, Sans (I'll let your brother pass that along...). ;D

And the rest of you GotMeaders, are you gonna let a bunch of Facebook friends push a mediocre entry from a dude who obviously doesn't know how to produce a watchable video beat out Sans for this prize? I sincerely hope not! >:(

WRATHWILDE
08-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the kind words Wayneb, glad you finally got to vote.

If any of you members in the lower 48 want some free mead, you'll have to act fast. If you don't register to vote today, it's very unlikely you'll get to vote.

Sans is currently trailing by 1 point, surely we can find a couple of GotMead patrons wanting to sample some fine 2 year old meads.

Secure Your bottle now by helping my little brother win. I make some awesome meads... try one.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

epetkus
08-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Saw this just this AM.

Registered..., now waiting for conf. & then vote.

Eric

epetkus
08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Saw this just this AM.

Registered..., now waiting for conf. & then vote.

Eric

Received Conf. quickly, & then posted 3 times..., now awaiting voting.

Hopefully I'll get in by tonight, since I'm leaving quite early in the AM.

Eric

mmclean
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Took me about 26 hrs. before I could vote.

epetkus
08-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, now the contest is on hold, pending cheating investigations!

I'll try to check again in the AM.

Eric

WRATHWILDE
08-23-2010, 03:35 AM
The Contest is on hold, at this point I don't think any more votes will be allowed, supposedly they are in talks with the four leading entries to try and negotiate a fair outcome. Sans does know that two of the four founders of the site personally voted for his entry, hopefully that will weigh in his favor if an agreement can't be reached otherwise. Thanks for all your help.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

d.j.patterson
08-23-2010, 08:22 AM
I was able to get my vote in Sunday morning. It is disappointing to see that this thread is now closed pending the investigation into cheating. That football composite did make a rather quick rocket to the top though.

Posted under the same name I use here. d.j.patterson

I hope they can get it worked out and that your brother wins. I voted before I saw the offer of mead, but would be willing to accept it if he does win. ;)

Jord
08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Crap! I was away for the weekend and my confirmation email was waiting for me when I returned....I headed over to the site to vote but it's on hold.

EDIT: Just saw that everyone was aware of this issue. Sorry I didn't get a chance to vote Wrath.

WRATHWILDE
09-03-2010, 06:26 AM
I've just been notified by my brother that they are about to start the voting back up, if anyone hasn't registered, and made the posts yet, now is the time, so you can get in on a free bottle of mead if he wins. I will post here again as soon as I get notification that the voting is back on line.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

epetkus
09-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Cool!

Eric

WRATHWILDE
09-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Voting Has Started Back Up.

Wrathwilde's Mead to all those who voted if Sans Wins. (lower 48 states only)

Follow the instructions from my initial post if you haven't done so already.

If you jumped through the hoops then were denied because they closed the poll, go here...

http://fstoppersforum.com/showthread.php?499-Fstoppers-Contest-VOTE-HERE!

Make sure you are logged in, or it will say you're not allowed to vote.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Jord
09-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Done and done..........is Canada considered one of the lower 48 states yet? ;)

wildoates
09-07-2010, 03:53 PM
All registered and commented!

chiguire
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I just made my 3 comments and I will vote tomorrow.

I am not going to lie; the image is great, but the mead incentive drove me to the registration page.

WRATHWILDE
09-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Done and done..........is Canada considered one of the lower 48 states yet? ;)

Sorry,

I sent Mynx a couple of Meads in Canada a few years ago, customs opened them and TAPED the bottle caps back on.

Thanks for the help though.

Were they showing results of the poll? everytime I go to check they have it listed as results hidden.

Jord
09-08-2010, 06:59 AM
The results were hidden from me....I guess it's an attempt to keep people from cheating.

d.j.patterson
09-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I just checked and it says you already voted in this poll, so I guess they did not throw out the original votes.

chiguire
09-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I just voted.

I felt the need to watch all the videos prior to voting, and in the end I really did feel like Sans' video was the best. I really enjoyed him laying out his creative process.

So. I hope he wins! A: so that he gets an equipment upgrade and B: that I might get some good mead :)

wildoates
09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I finally got the chance to actually watch the vid, and wow! It's great! I sent the link to my son and his college roomie because they're budding photogs too, and would like seeing how that photo was made.

Good luck, Sans!

wildoates
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Oh, and there were only 244 votes when I voted. Not many a'tall.

chiguire
09-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Bummer! It looks like Sans didn't win, but second is nothing to be ashamed of!

WRATHWILDE
09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone, but it wasn't enough to secure some free mead.

Sans did come in 2nd. My dad and I had both separately vowed to buy him the camera if he lost. So we pooled our resources and dropped about $2500 getting him outfitted with a Canon 7D, a new lens and various accessories.

I'll try to make it to the Mazer cup 2011, so hopefully you can all get a taste of some of my meads there.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)

Oskaar
09-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone, but it wasn't enough to secure some free mead.

Sans did come in 2nd. My dad and I had both separately vowed to buy him the camera if he lost. So we pooled our resources and dropped about $2500 getting him outfitted with a Canon 7D, a new lens and various accessories.

I'll try to make it to the Mazer cup 2011, so hopefully you can all get a taste of some of my meads there.

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Cheers,
Jered Talbot (Wrathwilde)

Please come out to the Mazer Cup Wrath, you know we'd love to have you there and we'll put you to work! No rest for the wicked! ;D