PDA

View Full Version : New member

Case
08-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Hello all,
I have been reading the forums for a couple months now and I just decided to join. I got turned onto mead from my girlfriend’s father about six months ago; it was delicious so I decided I would give it a try.

I now have six gallons of mead that I have brewed. I did two one gallon carboys and one five gallon, all of them following the JAO recipe. One gallon I followed to a tee, on the other gallon carboy I switched the cinnamon sticks for vanilla beans and local wildflower honey and instead of all raisins I used threw in dried cherries, blueberries and used Red Star Champagne dry yeast. On the five gallon batch the only two things I did differently was used dried blueberries, cherries and raisins and pitched it with Wyeast dry mead activator.

The two month mark was last weekend, everything cleared beautifully. I bottled the original recipe gallon and it tasted very nice, my girlfriends’ father said it was pretty green but he could tell after a little more aging it would be very nice. The other batch with vanilla beans smelt like pink bubble gum and had a slight taste of it as well. The five gallon batch I decided to rack off into another five gallon instead of bottling because there seemed to be some activity still going on, I ended having to add about a gallon of the vanilla bean stuff to get it back up to five gallons.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a line and say hello. The biggest mistake I made was not keeping a brew log of any sort and or taking any SG readings, I know not good. Looking forward to being on here and starting another batch in a couple weeks with a brew log!

Sorry if this in the wrong place.

Medsen Fey
08-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Welcome to GotMead Case!

It sounds like you are well on your way. Keeping a brewlog is one of the most important things you can do. It will allow you to know what you did so that the next time you make something, you can make adjustments to have it come out the way you want. Trust me, after a few years, (and consuming more than a few bottles) you won't remember the details unless you have an eidetic memory.

And please do get a hydrometer before you create bottle bombs.

PitBull
08-21-2010, 10:28 AM
We are all glad to have you aboard. I am sure that you will find that you will receive many times the membership fee in advice and camaraderie.

Chevette Girl
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the addiction... :)

So far I haven't been terribly happy with vanilla in JAO, although mine did not turn out bubblegum flavoured (how weird is that!!). Next time I use a vanilla bean in a JAO, I'm going to try it WITH the cinnamon...

wildoates
08-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Allow me to also welcome you to Gotmead, Case! If you like mead, you'll like it here (as you no doubt already know if you've been lurking!), and even if you're not much of a mead drinker (there are a couple of us who don't really drink the mead we make but we love to make it!), if you like to brew it, you'll like it here.

Brewlogs are good--when I started out I figured that once I bottled I'd be tossing the brewlog into the round file, but I find that I like reading the process of the mead in bottles that have long been filled and emptied. Especially the early ones where I was 100% clueless--as opposed to only 75% clueless now. ;D

Do do 'em, and keep 'em. After several years you'll have quite a nostalgic collection!

Case
08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
And please do get a hydrometer before you create bottle bombs.

Got one couple days ago, will be using it on the next batch and keeping a log ;D

So far I haven't been terribly happy with vanilla in JAO, although mine did not turn out bubblegum flavoured (how weird is that!!). Next time I use a vanilla bean in a JAO, I'm going to try it WITH the cinnamon...

My thoughts as well.

Thanks for all the kind words! I definitly enjoy drinking and brewing the mead. I am trying to pin down my next batch, leaning towards a apple mead, cyser?

mmclean
08-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Hi Case,

My first brew was six, one gallon batches of JAO (thanks Joe). First four are clearing at three to four weeks.

Tonight I am starting my second batch, a five gallon batch of spiced cyser. Mainly because I wanted the extra gallon jugs. Almost as cheap to buy apple juice as to have gallon jugs shipped.