PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Beer!

Chevette Girl
08-28-2010, 01:20 PM
An engineering student's dream!!! (thank the gods I'm through that stage of my life!)

Mill St. Brewery in Toronto ON makes a Coffee Porter. A friend and his wife brought some over last night and it was really good! Didn't overdo the bitterness... It kind of made me think of what would happen if you did a kahlua depth-charge in a beer... my husband wasn't so hot on it but then he's not much of a beer fan and also doesn't like coffee...

... and all me and the preganant wife could think of was, "what flavour ice cream would make the best float with this?" (we eventually decided that it would have to be a really rich chocolate or French vanilla)...

The label says this was made from brewed coffee, and I'm thinking they either made a pot strong enough to eat the spoon or they didn't dilute it, the coffee was more than just a hint, I think it was equivalent in strength with the beer flavour... so of course, coffee mead is now on the ever-lenghtening list of stuff I have to try someday...

Fisher kel Tath
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Coffee beer isn't all that new...

Bell's Beer (Comstock Michigan) has had a Java Stout for as long as I remember, there are others, just don't remember names...

akueck
08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
There are several coffee mead threads too. Coffee honey also exists. ;)

I've done coffee/chocolate in beer. Not much coffee provides a significant flavor impact. I think I used 3 oz of ground beans in 3 gallons.