PDA

View Full Version : 2nd mead question

chiguire
08-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi, folks.

Well, I am a mead brewing beginner, but my JAO is running out (only one bottle left). It turned out great after it got some age under its belt.

Now I am left in a quandary of what mead-style to brew next.
I am brewing with 30+ year old honey from my grandfathers stock pile (he used to be a bee keeper)

I understand from reading Schramm's book that precious aroma and volatiles are lost in old honey...?
The honey is delicious, dark, and a bit wild. I really want to brew a medium show mead from this honey as kind of a "Heritage Mead"...

Am I crazy brewing a show mead from such old honey?

All input is welcome.

Medsen Fey
08-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Am I crazy brewing a show mead from such old honey?

Definitely... as a loon. Bonkers. Nuts. Out of your mind. :eek:

That stuff could be toxic. In fact, you should probably dispose of all that old honey. We have just such a disposal facility here at the Fusel Shack. I'll PM you the address and you can ship it here for environmentally safe handling. ;D

Medsen >:D

chiguire
08-28-2010, 07:58 PM
;D So after all that, let's clarify the question...

Have any of you noticed significant aroma/taste loss in old honey?

wildoates
08-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Definitely... as a loon. Bonkers. Nuts. Out of your mind. :eek:

That stuff could be toxic. In fact, you should probably dispose of all that old honey. We have just such a disposal facility here at the Fusel Shack. I'll PM you the address and you can ship it here for environmentally safe handling. ;D

Medsen >:D

Picking on the noobs again, eh, Medsen?!

I've never tasted honey that old, so I couldn't hazard a guess--30 years! Wow! But I think that with honey, if it tastes good, it is good, no matter if it might have been better 29.5 years ago.

AToE
08-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey, if you taste/smell it and it's awesome then it's awesome. One of the best sound engineers ever said: "if it sounds right it is right".

Go for it. That said, Ken's book uses an outdated definition of "show" mead, now adays show mead means you use no nutrients, which is a bad idea for a beginner. You'll be wanting to make a "traditional".

fatbloke
08-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Well seeing as some of the archaeological types found honey stored in some of the caches of historical goodies in Egypt - dated at something like at least a couple of thousand years old - then on actually tasting it, declared it still edible, I'd have though that 30 years or so is a "drop in the ocean".

Go for it. Though follow AToE's suggestion and look up "Traditional" recipes.......

Good luck

regards

fatbloke

Medsen Fey
08-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Over time, honey will darken and may lose some of it's aromatic properties. There will also be increase in things like HMF that may contribute some caramel character. However, if it still smells and tastes okay, it should make good mead.

chiguire
08-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey, if you taste/smell it and it's awesome then it's awesome. One of the best sound engineers ever said: "if it sounds right it is right".

Go for it. That said, Ken's book uses an outdated definition of "show" mead, now adays show mead means you use no nutrients, which is a bad idea for a beginner. You'll be wanting to make a "traditional".

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion, and thanks for the updated definition of "show mead" vs. traditional. I will definitely be using nutrients.

I have been using this honey for years making bread, eating, and one batch of JAO. It is good, but it is different than most honeys I have tasted. I like the "if it tastes good it is good" criteria.

I am really not sure how old this honey is, but I know it is 30+ years. My grandpa stopped keeping bees prior to my birth and I am 29.

Next mead. A medium traditional "Heritage" mead.

Thanks everyone

fatbloke
08-29-2010, 06:10 PM
-----%<-----It is good, but it is different than most honeys I have tasted. I like the "if it tastes good it is good" criteria.
-----%<-----

Have you tasted Buckwheat Honey ?

Cos that tastes bog all like any other honey I've tasted as well ;D8)

regards

fatbloke