• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cyser questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

crimsondrac

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2010
Houston, TX
Been reading around the forums and the internet about Apple Cysers. Many people say the cysers are generally ready to drink sooner. However, many of them mention that Apple cysers have a tendency to produce sulfer but can not really find much info on how to combat that.

Does anyoen know of a good cyser guide or someplace that hs more information on this?

Thanks,

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I have found my apple products to benefit greatly from age. Everything does, but the apple ones really turn a corner after about a year, going from thin and tart to full and smooth. This has held for both dry cider and dry cyser in my experience, though the sweet cyser (FG 1.016, 12.5% abv) I made was drinkable after only 3-4 months.

Apples do tend to be a little sulfury. I'm not sure why, but there is usually a 24 hour period or so (somewhere in day 2-4) that they give off a wonderful stink, then calm down again without any intervention. I've never figured it out to my satisfaction.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
My tact with regard to apples and sulfur? Ignore it, it'll go away on its own. It's one of the fun an interesting parts of brewing with that particular fruit. Last year I had 15 gallons of cider and 10 gallons of cyser all bubbling away at my place simultaneously. I came home, and the smell! Oh, the smell! ;D Personally, I love it, as it's the smell I first associated with brewing, apple cider having been my first recipe.

Add all the nutrients you want, I don't think you're going to get it to go away.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns