PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Weirdomel 0.0

PainInUrHead
09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Has this ever been attempted? I have seen bacon infused vodka. I mean if they have chocolate covered bacon why not bacon infused mead? When i actually figure this whole thing out it may be a gallon test batch and I will let you all know how it turns out.

Medsen Fey
09-01-2010, 08:09 PM
It has at least been discussed. See Maple Bacon thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15648&highlight=bacon). The seach tool is your friend. :)

wildoates
09-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Weirdomel? Heh heh heh

Blanchy
09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
The only reason I can think of not to do it is that you would be introducing a piece of meat into the mead which could then potentially allow little beasties to grow in there that also might like to grow inside of you. I don't think that must can support a bacterium that is harmful to humans but if you added meat to it.....

I know there is a recipe for a chicken beer. This seems less problematic because the chicken was actually cooked in the beer during the boil step. I would say if you were going to try this to cook the bacon fully and then add it to the mead while it was still fairly hot to ensure that it was fairly sterile. Another option might be to boil fried bacon in a bit of must and then add that mixture.

You know, I'm still having a hard time believing that I am writing about adding bacon to mead;D

Blanchy

mmclean
09-01-2010, 10:23 PM
You know, I'm still having a hard time believing that I am writing about adding bacon to mead;D

Blanchy

I say amen to that.

PainInUrHead
09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
w00t I cant wait definitely making the maple syrup bacon mead that's gonna be my next one for sure would like to know how his turned out though and what he ended up doing with the bacon

Chevette Girl
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
There ARE weirder things to add to mead... do a search for "piscamel"... and I'm still trying to figure out what to call it when I toss a (sanitized and non-poisonous!) Chevette bit into one of my meads or wines... Weirdomel may well be it :)

Midnight Sun
09-02-2010, 01:56 AM
There ARE weirder things to add to mead... do a search for "piscamel"... and I'm still trying to figure out what to call it when I toss a (sanitized and non-poisonous!) Chevette bit into one of my meads or wines... Weirdomel may well be it :)

OK, CG been weirded out. And that is hard to do.

Chevette Girl
09-02-2010, 02:39 AM
OK, CG been weirded out. And that is hard to do.

<sigh> and I'd been hoping folks at THIS forum wouldn't notice that... at least not this soon...

...but c'mon, fermenting aquarium fish into mead? Ick. And not referring to the tropical fish disease either....

...and bacon-acerglyn is on my to-do list, it's just at the bottom of a very long list...

Medsen Fey
09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
There ARE weirder things to add to mead... do a search for "piscamel"...

Every failure creates an opportunity to learn.
That recipe might work better with an acidophilic fish (http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/congress/2000/Papers/extremepdf/wilson.pdf). :)

wayneb
09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Leave it to Medsen Fey to inject a journal article into this discussion! :rolleyes: ;D

But anyway, CG, what about "chevemel?" Not to be confused with chevremel, which of course would be fermented goat cheese mead! ;)

Chevette Girl
09-02-2010, 01:05 PM
My friends on the chevettes.com forum would probably call it Shove-it-mel... and if I toss some herbs in, it'll be chevemeth... which sounds like a street drug... or maybe Joe's Ancient Chevette Mead?

... and if you want to get literal, "chevre" is French and probably also Latin for goat so chevremel could technically include anything from the goat to its milk...

but I still can't stop thinking about baconmel... or at least bacon dipped in maple syrup... mmm, breakfast of champions...

Oh, and Medsen, I think the poor fish would dehydrate in all that honey before the pH even became an issue :)

crimsondrac
09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
There are many crazy meads I want to try to make, currently have a batch of coffee mead fermenting. However, I do not think I even want to taste a mead with meat as part of the flavoring. No offense.

wayneb
09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
... and if you want to get literal, "chevre" is French and probably also Latin for goat so chevremel could technically include anything from the goat to its milk...

Quite so! I was simply thinking about what I currently have in the fridge at home!! ;D

And here's where you can see just how variant all the romance languages have become over the centuries. Latin (well, Italian - close enough) for goat: capra. Spanish for goat: cabra. Portuguese for goat: cabra (sounds similar to the Spanish version, the "b" sound is softened). French: chevre.
You can see the similarities, yet there are distinct differences in the pronunciation of this word which is in common use in all three languages.

That said, I think I'd rather try fermented goat's milk, rather than fermented goat! ;)

PainInUrHead
09-03-2010, 04:43 PM
There are many crazy meads I want to try to make, currently have a batch of coffee mead fermenting. However, I do not think I even want to taste a mead with meat as part of the flavoring. No offense.
But it's bacon!! 'Nough said.

Golddiggie
11-26-2010, 01:40 PM
But it's bacon!! 'Nough said.

EVERYTHING is better with BACON!!!

I have pictures of cooked bits of bacon hopping into a mead must... mmmmmmm

I did just look up bacon wiskey and bacon vodka... It's aged with bacon (cooked bacon) in it, then placed into the freezer to solidify the fat, so that it can be filtered out...

Looks like I have a candidate for a 1 gallon batch... ;D What honey would you pair up with good smoked bacon?? I can get good, thick cut, applewood smoked bacon... Stuff is damned good to eat, so why not drink/sip?? ;D Would you go with a higher %ABV mead or lower %ABV mead for this type???

BTW, I've seen, and read about, plenty of weird things in my days... This doesn't even make my "that's F'ing WEIRD" list... More like my "I WANT that" list...