PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Justice (begins to) Prevail!!

wayneb
09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
This article is definitely worth reading: http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/11-execs-6-foreign-firms-caught-in-huge-honey-sting/19618562

This is precisely why I will not buy honey imported from any other country, unless I know the importer personally.

Tannin Boy
09-02-2010, 05:35 PM
This article is definitely worth reading: http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/11-execs-6-foreign-firms-caught-in-huge-honey-sting/19618562

This is precisely why I will not buy honey imported from any other country, unless I know the importer personally.

Amen to that sting.....
I only buy from local growers in and around the Finger Lakes Area....

TB

Jestig
09-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm glad that they finally found some of these people. Just cant believe that they want to sell it here, because the did not want to pay the dumping fees!! Something that they wouldn't sell in their own countries. Amazing!!

Fisher kel Tath
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
so why not name what brands it involved and who sold it?

Chevette Girl
09-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Might I remind you, we are talking about the country that put melamine in baby formula because it increased the protein levels when tested...

icedmetal
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
The Seattle PI did a great job covering this issue:

http://www.seattlepi.com/specials/honey/

Found that link at the bottom of the original article.

gregoryc
09-05-2010, 10:57 AM
As a newbee the article makes me wonder if I can trust that the popular large honey vendors' product (e.g. Miller, Bee Folks, etc.) is genuine US/Canada collected honey. Anyone have comments?

mmclean
09-05-2010, 11:25 AM
As far as I know people like Miller, Bee Folks, etc. are local producers not resalers.

Trust?

Well that is up to you. Can you really be sure that your trust in anyone is trully safe?

...but if we can't trust, what are our choices.

As for me, I choose to trust unless I have reason not to.

"Don't worry, be happy." :D

Tannin Boy
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
As a newbee the article makes me wonder if I can trust that the popular large honey vendors' product (e.g. Miller, Bee Folks, etc.) is genuine US/Canada collected honey. Anyone have comments?

I can't speak to the ones you have listed, but as I have suggested try to buy from your local apiary's an support the community...

Regards,

TB

wayneb
09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I will vouch for the products distributed both by Miller's and Bee Folks, just to set your mind at ease a bit. Miller's has been one of the most reliable distributors of varietal honey on the west coast for a number of years, and although they've recently merged their operations with another company's, I don't think that their quality, nor their commitment to providing exactly what they claim, has changed. Regarding Bee Folks, those of us who have been involved with Gotmead for a while, and especially those of us who have been involved with the Mazer Cup International (and the International Mead Fest before that) know Lori personally, have both sampled and used her products in our meads, and we endorse her company and her products unreservedly. She wouldn't stand for selling "grey market" product of any kind, and we know this to be true.

That said, I also agree with the concept of "buy locally" whenever possible. It pays to establish a good working relationship with local apiaries. You'll get the best service and product from folks who you know and deal with personally, IMHO.

cam07ds
09-10-2010, 02:04 PM
This is a good reason to use the old saying "Buy American" I use the Bee Folks and Wayne finds some great honey for group buys.

Steve

Chevette Girl
09-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I am unbelievably glad there is an apiary 20 minutes from home so I don't have to wonder what the heck is in my honey...

Tannin Boy
09-11-2010, 05:16 AM
I am unbelievably glad there is an apiary 20 minutes from home so I don't have to wonder what the heck is in my honey...

I have been reading this topic with interest and your comment CG makes me think just how lucky I am as well. We have a wonderful public market with very good farmers and their offerings. Maybe many who post here on Gotmead do not have the same good fortune as we do?

Chevette Girl
09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe many who post here on Gotmead do not have the same good fortune as we do?

Then again on the other hand, up here we don't have quite the variety of different types of honeys available (orange blossom? Hah! And what's mesquite?) that some more southern members can get right around the corner. I think we all fit somewhere within a whole range of opportunities, some more and some less... same with local fruits and brewing supply store inventory! We all just have to make the best of what we can find, and 'best' will be different for everyone.