PDA

View Full Version : topping up after first few days.

fun4stuff
09-08-2010, 12:07 AM
So on 9/6/2010 I started a mead with ~18 lbs clover honey and ~3.5 gallons apple cider (unfiltered juice) to a SG of ~1.12. I am fermenting everything in a 6 gallon carboy because I didnt have a spare bucket. Using Cotes Des Blancs yeast.

I only filled the carboy to about 5.25-5.5 gallons, so that it would not "bubble over" and out the top of the carboy. Once it calms down, would it be okay to top it up with a cider/honey mixture that has a SG of ~1.12?

I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something. Thanks!

akueck
09-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Hmm, something isn't sitting right with me. 18 lbs of honey in water to 5.5 gallons should come out to about 1.12-1.13. Using apple juice instead, you should be closer to 1.17. How approximate were your weight/volume measurements? Are you sure everything was mixed when you took the SG reading?

To your question, sure you can add a little more must a few days into the process.

fun4stuff
09-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Hmm, something isn't sitting right with me. 18 lbs of honey in water to 5.5 gallons should come out to about 1.12-1.13. Using apple juice instead, you should be closer to 1.17. How approximate were your weight/volume measurements? Are you sure everything was mixed when you took the SG reading?

To your question, sure you can add a little more must a few days into the process.

Hm, not sure. It was definitely mixed well. THis isn't typical apple juice though. Here in MI "Apple cider" has a different meaning, which I learned awhile back is different than a lot of other places. It is freshly pressed apple juice from a mill that is unfiltered and still has some "pulp" in it. (opposed to "cider" meaning a low alcoholic beverage) Maybe, there is less sugar in it, as none is added as you would find in commercially produced apple juices.

Anyhow, I made this same recipe last year, but in a 1 gallon jug and the SG was 1.13 after 3 gallons of honey to 1 gallon cider. So hopefully everything is ok... or I made the same SG measuring mistake 2 years in a row!

Thanks though. I will top it up in a few days!

mmclean
09-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Anyhow, I made this same recipe last year, but in a 1 gallon jug and the SG was 1.13 after 3 gallons of honey to 1 gallon cider.

Wow... I'm thinking you meant 3 pounds of honey to one gallon of cider.:)

fun4stuff
09-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow... I'm thinking you meant 3 pounds of honey to one gallon of cider.:)

oops, yeah- 3 lbs/ 1 gallon cider.