PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge!

dover157
09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Hello all, I have been lurking here for a couple of months with my mouth watering, and my mind racing. Finaly had a chance to try some comercial mead last week, and while I know homemade can be better, I was hooked. My mother in law caught wind of my desire and bought me a 1 gal. brewing starter kit as an early christmas gift :D . Bought the needed stuff and plan on mixing up a batch of JAO as soon as I get home from work. ( may pause to make dinner for the kids first have not decided yet). I have some ideas in my head already for some crabapple mixes and ciders. Just have to learn to be paitent now. The one thing that the starter kit did not come with is a hydrometer, so I know what one of my first upgrades will be. Im going to attempt to start a good habit and keep a brewlog with my first JAO, but not concerned about the results. I look forward to sharing ideas and dreams with all the mead makers out there.

Ben

p.s. this is gonna be a long 5 weeks.........

mmclean
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Don't worry about the hydrometer for the JAO. It's a don't look, don't touch kinda thing. You will want one for when you start a standard mead though.

And..

Wecome to Gotmead?

wildoates
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
On Saturday I went down to LA with my sis, daughter, and her boyfriend to see Walking With Dinosaurs (please, don't tell me that LA is NOT a weekend driving trip from Sacramento, I know, trust me, I know). Before the show we went to a place near Staples Arena (boooo hisssss lakers) that had 140 beers on tap, one of which was a framboise lambic that was excellent. As I was sipping it, what do you think was going through my mind? Did I think, wow, this is expensive, can't buy this very often? Noooo. Did I think, wow, this is tasty, I wonder if BevMo carries it? Nooooo. This is what I was thinking:

I can make this, with honey, sure I could, yeah.

So beware. It is highly addictive, and I'm not talking about drinking the mead, just making it.

Welcome to our happy (or at times, hoppy) home!

dover157
09-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys, first batch of JAO is mixed waiting for the yeasties to wake up. First lesson learned. Place the airlock on the stopper firmly before inserting stopper into carboy. Fishing floating stopper out of must is a P.I.T.A.

TheAlchemist
09-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Enjoy!

Peace

akueck
09-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys, first batch of JAO is mixed waiting for the yeasties to wake up. First lesson learned. Place the airlock on the stopper firmly before inserting stopper into carboy. Fishing floating stopper out of must is a P.I.T.A.

Yeah, I think everyone here has done that at one point. Or many points. It gets easier the second time. Even easier is just getting another one out and pretending it never happened. ;)

dover157
09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Hmm...... I think I may have oopsed, did not leave enough headspace. Wife just called me at work and told me that the foam was crawling out of the airlock and running down the outside of the carboy. Mayhap wont put so much water in next time.

mmclean
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, been there, done that already. :tshirt:

Caught it before it went all the way through the air lock though. I had to change and clean air locks two or three times a day for a while. :rolleyes: