PDA

View Full Version : Another NewBee

Laissez Faire
09-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Hello all, I am yet another to join the ranks of mead brewers, or so we'll see in about 6 months! So far I have tried to make two 1 gallon carboys of mead with 3lbs of honey each. Both are using RedStar Champagne Yeast. One has oranges and raisins because I read on another site that it would provide food for the mead and that the oranges gave a good balance to the ph. The other gallon I did the same but added cinnamon and nutmeg for a little spice. At first I was having difficulties getting the stopper to stay put, but after reading and just finding out that I just needed to dry it off, I felt rather dumb haha.

This is day two of the mead and the airlock is bubbling nicely, time to shake it a bit I presume. I want to try to make a cyser soon because I figured if I'm going to wait 6 months ish, might as well make more jugs to enjoy when they're ready!

I was reading a few posts in the forums and was curious as well if any of the veterans had any extra bottles they might be willing to part with as a sample, as I have never tried to make mead and would like a basis to judge my creations on as well! I am in Massachusetts, so if possible, please let me know!

I am just so excited to be starting this as I can already see it will be great fun experimenting with all the different recipes! Alrighty, now time to shake these puppies up a bit.

akueck
09-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Welcome!

Check out the threads on JAO (Joe's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead). This recipe is all over the internet, sometimes with a little variation, and often without proper credit. It's a good mead to start with, and the use of bread yeast helps it finish fast so you can start drinking it sooner.

Be careful when you shake a fermenting mead. When you agitate it, you'll pull the CO2 out of solution. Do it too fast and it will decorate your ceiling. Go slow at first to let the fizz out.

Also check out the NewBee guide (link in left menu or off the main site). Tons of great info there. On the main site there is also a recipe archive. Some are dated, but you'll find a section on quick meads to get you off to a running start. Also search the forum for the 4-week quick cyser (it's better after 6 months if you can wait that long).

Laissez Faire
09-14-2010, 02:49 AM
Welcome!

Check out the threads on JAO (Joe's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead). This recipe is all over the internet, sometimes with a little variation, and often without proper credit. It's a good mead to start with, and the use of bread yeast helps it finish fast so you can start drinking it sooner.

Be careful when you shake a fermenting mead. When you agitate it, you'll pull the CO2 out of solution. Do it too fast and it will decorate your ceiling. Go slow at first to let the fizz out.

Also check out the NewBee guide (link in left menu or off the main site). Tons of great info there. On the main site there is also a recipe archive. Some are dated, but you'll find a section on quick meads to get you off to a running start. Also search the forum for the 4-week quick cyser (it's better after 6 months if you can wait that long).

I wish I had read this sooner, but then again, now the room has a refreshing cinnamon/nutmeg aroma too it haha :rolleyes: I got a bit ambitious and as I went to switch hands to shake, took my hand off the stopper for a second, next thing I know I hear *thunk!* and a nice coating of mead on the dresser lol, luckily it was only a little bit, but boy did that stopper go far :o.

And thank you, I will definitely be checking out that 4-week cyser recipe! ^_^

Laissez Faire
09-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I was also wondering how you can tell if your jug of mead has been contaminated? Is there visible bacteria that will grow inside the bottle or does it just make it smell and taste funky? I was worried since I read about the air lock water possibly contaminating it. Also is there anything you can do to salvage it should that happen or is it mostly just restart?

Also again I would be very appreciative if anyone is willing to send me a sample of their brewed mead. I've never had it, only heard from a few friends, but I would really like to have a general understanding of how mine should end up tasting via tasting a more experienced brewers mead. I would of course compensate you for your time and effort. If anyone has anything available, that would be great, and if you could please message me, thanks!

wayneb
09-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Generally the spoilage organisms that could affect your mead will either grow visible colonies (both acetobacter and most fungus infections will form floating colonies), or will make the mead cloudy along with making it smell and taste funky. If you catch the problem early enough, you can often cure it by racking clear mead away from the infection, and then treating it with sulphites. However that is not a guarantee of success, so good sanitation is always your best approach.

That said, I've had about as many possible "accidents" that can be had with fermenting meads over the years (including one batch that I inadvertently left the airlock off of for over two months!), and I've only had one confirmed case of an infection in any of them. I'd say you most probably have nothing to worry about.

As far as getting some samples of mead to you, if you PM me your name and address, when I get around to bottling my next couple of batches (which will have to wait until I get done with a field assignment and can stay home for a bit - now looking like the end of October), I can send you a bottle or two.

Laissez Faire
09-15-2010, 11:58 PM
That sounds great! Yeah I just wanted to be careful because I wouldn't want a spoiled batch on the first run, so it's good to know what to look for should it go poorly. I think i've been doing fairly well with the sanitizing, so I can't wait!