PDA

View Full Version : I may be developing a luxury problem here...

saur0n
09-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I just bottled a 20 bottle batch of Yo's Strawberry Pizzaz (redubbed Eerdtbeziencruydt Melomel) which I tried layering in the basement. I'm affraid I have two options here... 1) Stop making mead or 2) Start drinking like crazy... (And I just started a batch of AHA fortiefied Plum mead this morning, so stopping obviously isn't an option)

http://www.ortusphoenix.be/images/2010-09-18-fullhouse.jpg

And while we were at it with the camera: the different meads I have made so far:

Blackcurrant Melomel
Cinamon-Clove Metheglin
EerdtbesienCruydt Melomel (AKA Yo's Strawberry Pizzaz)
Moretum (Medieval aperitive based on a Pyment)
Medus Mallorum (A spiced Cyser)
Blackcurrant Mel II (Currants in secondary in stead of in primary)
Melomel Citrus Sinensis Maurorum (Blloodorange mel)
Lavender-Vanilla Metheglin
Traditional Mead
Multiberry melomel
JAO

http://www.ortusphoenix.be/images/2010-09-18.jpg

And this... is the latest addition to the tribe. Happily bubbeling along, I give you: Memento Mori Melomel. Since it will turn out to be rather heavy, the subtitle on the label will be "Cave Crapulam" ;D

http://www.ortusphoenix.Be/images/2010-09-18-MMM.jpg

mmclean
09-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow! :o

I have some serious catching up to do.

Nice rack. ;D

fatbloke
09-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Well done saur0n, very nice bit of racking and beautiful labelling. Is that just a garage/shed or is it a cellar ?????

regards

fatbloke

p.s. and yes, I feel the pain as I also have lots too drink, though most of it's still in 1 gallon batches......

Midnight Sun
09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
First rate labeling! You have also inspired me to upgrade my storage from a drafting table to shelving.

akueck
09-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, that is a nice setup. I will gladly volunteer to help with the surplus mead problem anytime you want. ;) The labels are great, makes me feel like a slacker for my "sharpie on the cap" method.

fatbloke
09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Wow, that is a nice setup. I will gladly volunteer to help with the surplus mead problem anytime you want. ;) The labels are great, makes me feel like a slacker for my "sharpie on the cap" method.
Nah, s'alright, I'll help with that..... I'm closer than you are and wouldn't like to put you all the effort of travelling so far ;D

teejay58
09-18-2010, 09:13 PM
If you find a cure for your luxury problem, let me know. I think I've caught the bug as well. Just emailed someone tonight about some brewing equipment on craigslist. I need more buckets! And bottles. Did I mention bottles?! Dang you for infecting me, akueck! :p

saur0n
09-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

@fatbloke: It's a cellar all right. At least part of one. Sadly my wife keeps reminding me that's all the storage space I can have. Apparentely there's other stuff that needs storage too. (But if you ask me, it's just her little scheme to ensure a continuous supply of surplus mead to the livingroom...)

sandman
09-19-2010, 03:21 AM
Swing by here on your way fatbloke. I'll come with you. ;D (If we did it in December we could take a side trip and do the march at Bastogne while we were there.)

Very nice pictures and I love the labels. :cheers:

Chevette Girl
09-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm envious of your setup too... I'm trying to convert a corner of my basement to the fermentation station but it's a long slow process!

Hehe, I have the same problem too... although having set up a new rack last night I now have enough space to store another ten gallons bottled... and I washed bottles... so really there's not much of an excuse, is there... ;D

akueck
09-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Dang you for infecting me, akueck! :p

It's not my fault? I, uhhh, am only here to help. Right. ;D

BBBF
09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

@fatbloke: It's a cellar all right. At least part of one. Sadly my wife keeps reminding me that's all the storage space I can have. Apparentely there's other stuff that needs storage too. (But if you ask me, it's just her little scheme to ensure a continuous supply of surplus mead to the livingroom...)

That looks very similar to my cellar, except you have nicer shelves, bottles and are better organized. I'll need to bookmark this thread and use it to motivate me to fix up the cellar.

saur0n
09-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Heheh...

The metal rack is an office-leftover, the wooden shelves are from Ikea (6.5 / about $8.5) and I have a nice deal with a restaurant for the bottles. They don't have to drag all of their empty bottles to the glass recycle container and I don't have to pay for my bottles ;D. Also: the chef likes his bottle of Moretum now and then ;)

BBBF
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
My shelves are partical board, with the fake wood pealing off and I'm terrified the only shelf tall enough for my 1 gallon carboys of bulk aging, experimental batches will give out.

PitBull
09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
I label everything. I had though that I had created some really nice labels. But by comparison, mine now look like a child's stick figure drawing.

Excellent work... and thanks for the lesson in humility.

saur0n
09-21-2010, 04:02 AM
Awww... You made me blush. That's not a good thing for an evil overlord. ;D
Seriously: the labels are just a bit of cut and paste in Photoshop / the Gimp.

phreebyrd
12-17-2010, 01:14 AM
they r still nice

darthbooger
12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
wow, thats like a man cave but more like a dungeon! I dont think I could pull that setup off on military housing, I am already going to have to start trusting family with some of my bottles so when I have to move im not moving 60 bottles of mead with me o my next duty station, when I retire, I am making a man cave required for my final home

wildoates
12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I think that's why they call it an obsession. :)

Braxton
12-17-2010, 03:54 PM
The last thing I bottled, a blended cyser, wound up on the floor in the corner of the basement because I have no room left on my shelves. I've got to start giving some of the mead to friends... well, the mediocre stuff anyways.