PDA

View Full Version : JAO with other fruits and some experiments?

ash
09-19-2010, 09:01 PM
hi,

I've done the JAO and it was great ! I did [screw] up by taking a couple of liters out of the cardboy, stabilized it and put back the amount that didn't get used. The great taste is gone, but maybe in a couple of weeks aging it will be good again.

Now, it was fairly eazy an felt like craftmanship doing this 'ancient'. I would like to make some more. I want to make 5 batches. One small, adding hemp. An othe small experiment with anis (like in pastis) and some herbs and leftovers from a botle of Absinth. (any tips about this are welcome. like: do I put the herbs in before fermenting or after)
I will also make one bigger batch from the orriginal receipe and twoo with other fruits. I plan to buy honey (200 Euro worth of it so I don't want to screw this one up)

Any sugestions for fruits? And will it work? All advice welcome !

Thanx !

Chevette Girl
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Other fruits I've tried in JAO instead of the orange: lemon, grapefruit, green (unripe) apple, ornamental crabapple (terriffically tart), cranberry, date, strawberry, blackberry, black currant, red raspberry, black raspberry.

The ones I would do again - lemon, ornamental crabapple, lemon-date, and blackberry, I've done the blackberry one about 4 times now. The green apple and the red raspberry are works in progress but I'm pretty sure the red raspberry will be very nice too.

As for spices, if you do some reading on the forum you'll find a lot of people who like it in primary, a lot who like it in secondary and a few who do half and half... I like to put the spices in primary and then when I rack to secondary I taste and smell it, and if it isn't as pronounced as I'd like it, I add more then.

It's often a good idea to experiment with one-gallon batches when you're working out tastes, especially with spices... as you pointed out, honey isn't cheap. That way if you decide you did put WAY too much of something in, you can always blend it with something else that turned out kind of boring...

Chevette Girl
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
In an effort to stop cluttering the original Joe's Ancient Orange thread and yet still respond to a request about my recipes for JAO variants, (there, now hopefully the search engine will find this thread when someone does a search for JAO variations), my blackberry JAO recipe:
instead of the orange and spices, use two 6-oz flats of blackberries, squashed. I've done it with cinnamon and allspice and without spices and both are awesome.

The ornamental crabapples I used are the little tiny tart ones with purple flesh, and I use a handful of 'em, maybe a dozen. It's that tart-sweet balance...

Lorela
04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Thank you for your response both here and in the original post and for the link to your crab apple brewlog. Blackberry will be on next weekends agenda and crab apple for the fall. I have done all the sauce and jellies I can stand with them.

Lorri

Loadnabox
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
hi,
... One small, adding hemp...

Thanx !

Stay away from the hemp! There's a couple of threads about this, the results are apparently awful resembling what you would expect if you brewed a batch of lawn clippings.

The primary ingredient in hemp is oil/alcohol soluble, not water soluble so it doesn't get metabolized by the yeast and instead you just get the nasty "weedy" taste.

I'm pretty new myself so I can't say I've tried it, but I've read the results posted on these forums and it doesn't sound good.

Chevette Girl
04-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Thank you for your response both here and in the original post and for the link to your crab apple brewlog. Blackberry will be on next weekends agenda and crab apple for the fall. I have done all the sauce and jellies I can stand with them.

Lorri

Always happy to help! ;D

I make fruit leather out of the crabapplesauce after I've strained the jelly juice by pounding it through the jelly seive... and I pickled some crabapples several years ago too in a sweet brine... but a great way to get rid of crabapples is wine or hard cider and you can also experiment with spices, I do weird things like add cinnamon and brown sugar to the used fruit bag and making apple pie wine...

Echostatic
05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
I may have to start a blackberry JAO this summer, it sounds good!

ash
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
the hemp worked out super great !

Twofox
05-22-2011, 04:56 PM
In an effort to stop cluttering the original Joe's Ancient Orange thread and yet still respond to a request about my recipes for JAO variants, (there, now hopefully the search engine will find this thread when someone does a search for JAO variations), my blackberry JAO recipe:
instead of the orange and spices, use two 6-oz flats of blackberries, squashed. I've done it with cinnamon and allspice and without spices and both are awesome.

The ornamental crabapples I used are the little tiny tart ones with purple flesh, and I use a handful of 'em, maybe a dozen. It's that tart-sweet balance...

Hey Chevette Girl -

I'm doing a blackberry variant of the joes, basically blackberries and the honey w/raisins and some vanilla beans. It's fermenting at about 74f. I have a question:

After 3 weeks fermentation has slowed way down, to like 1-2 bubbles a minute. have you seen that happen? Did you have to feed yours? What should I expect from here on out?

Chevette Girl
05-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey Chevette Girl -

I'm doing a blackberry variant of the joes, basically blackberries and the honey w/raisins and some vanilla beans. It's fermenting at about 74f. I have a question:

After 3 weeks fermentation has slowed way down, to like 1-2 bubbles a minute. have you seen that happen? Did you have to feed yours? What should I expect from here on out?

That sounds like a normally progressing Ancient Mead to me. The airlock activity will slow and gradually cease, the must will start to clear up and then the fruit will start to drop, and the timeframe you're outlining sounds about right for slowing down, it won't bubble forever. You don't want to feed it anything, just leave it alone.

The yeasties will eat their fill, then they'll think about the leftovers for a litle while, then they'll give up and start settling out, and once they've stopped making CO2, the fruit will start to sink. Usually. Sometimes you get a floatie or three, especially unpierced bits of segmented fruits or not so dense fruits. I'm still waiting for the cranberries to sink in my cran-orange batch (started in november), they're being obstinate and I may go in and mash them with the back of a spoon or something.

Twofox
05-22-2011, 05:36 PM
That sounds like a normally progressing JAO to me. The airlock activity will slow and gradually cease, the must will start to clear up and then the fruit will start to drop, and the timeframe you're outlining sounds about right for slowing down, it won't bubble forever. You don't want to feed it anything, just leave it alone.

The yeasties will eat their fill, then they'll think about the leftovers for a litle while, then they'll give up and start settling out, and once they've stopped making CO2, the fruit will start to sink. Usually. Sometimes you get a floatie or three, especially unpierced bits of segmented fruits or not so dense fruits. I'm still waiting for the cranberries to sink in my cran-orange batch (started in november), they're being obstinate and I may go in and mash them with the back of a spoon or something.

Excellent! Thanks! I brew lots of beer and seeing fermentation stop after a few days is normal, just wasn't sure on the mead. I'm really looking forward to this one, if it turns out there's a 5 gallon batch in my future :)

Chevette Girl
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Excellent! Thanks! I brew lots of beer and seeing fermentation stop after a few days is normal, just wasn't sure on the mead. I'm really looking forward to this one, if it turns out there's a 5 gallon batch in my future :)

I've had meads and wines slow after a couple days and I've had some go on months... but the Ancient Mead style (3.5 lb honey + bread yeast) seems to start very quickly and vigorously and takes a couple weeks to slow down, a couple more to stop altogether, a couple more to clear, and a couple more than that to drop the fruit... but of course your mileage may vary, no warranty with this one!

ash
05-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I have 2 batches sitting there since oktober. The fruits (one medlar and one strawberrie) haven't sunk yet.
The mead is clear for a while now so I'm thinking about racking them of the lees for some more bulk aging.

THawk
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I have 2 batches sitting there since oktober. The fruits (one medlar and one strawberrie) haven't sunk yet.
The mead is clear for a while now so I'm thinking about racking them of the lees for some more bulk aging.

what's medlar??

THawk
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking of doing a Blueberry melomel with JAOM style. But thinking of racking onto the blueberries during the secondary. Would this work or am I being a mad scientist here? I don't think I can get blackberries where I am (heck, blueberries are rare enough as it is)!

Chevette Girl
05-24-2011, 11:03 PM
That's another thing that I'd consider definitive about JAO-style, is leaving the fruit in long-term. Mash 'em up and stuff 'em in with the honey, leave it there till it drops. I think one of the reasons I think this is because you want all the flavour, acid and tannin extraction you can possibly get to counter the sweetness...

THawk
05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
That's another thing that I'd consider definitive about JAO-style, is leaving the fruit in long-term. Mash 'em up and stuff 'em in with the honey, leave it there till it drops. I think one of the reasons I think this is because you want all the flavour, acid and tannin extraction you can possibly get to counter the sweetness...

I guess I could also do that... But that would raise the question of -- how much to put in (or do I just use Ken Schramm's guideline in his book; i.e. depending how much blueberry taste I want)?

Chevette Girl
05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
I guess I could also do that... But that would raise the question of -- how much to put in (or do I just use Ken Schramm's guideline in his book; i.e. depending how much blueberry taste I want)?

I need a copy of that book... must strongly hint to husband in time for birthday :p

Sorry, can't help you with blueberry amounts. I haven't tried a blueberry JAO... and my numbers would be for wild blueberries, not the overgrown icky domesticated ones... I generally make my blueberries into wine the first time around and there's more than enough flavour for a second-run mel a week later...

I've also tasted a commercial fruit winery's blueberry wien and they made theirs with just blueberry juice, no water, and I actually prefer my diluted stuff, theirs was too strong and musky for me.

kudapucat
05-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I need a copy of that book... must strongly hint to husband in time for birthday :p

Sorry, can't help you with blueberry amounts. I haven't tried a blueberry JAO... and my numbers would be for wild blueberries, not the overgrown icky domesticated ones... I generally make my blueberries into wine the first time around and there's more than enough flavour for a second-run mel a week later...

I've also tasted a commercial fruit winery's blueberry wien and they made theirs with just blueberry juice, no water, and I actually prefer my diluted stuff, theirs was too strong and musky for me.

THawk, I don't know about blueberries, but IMHO, Ken likes things stronger flavoured than me.
I did a couple of 'medium' mels on his numbers and call it a 'strong'
So if you're afraid of too much flavour, then add less than he recommends, or use his 'light' flavour recommendation.
After all, flavour is on the tongue of the taster... YMMV Ken may be a mead God, but he can't predict everything about everybody! ;-)

THawk
05-24-2011, 11:56 PM
THawk, I don't know about blueberries, but IMHO, Ken likes things stronger flavoured than me.
I did a couple of 'medium' mels on his numbers and call it a 'strong'
So if you're afraid of too much flavour, then add less than he recommends, or use his 'light' flavour recommendation.
After all, flavour is on the tongue of the taster... YMMV Ken may be a mead God, but he can't predict everything about everybody! ;-)

I guess it's time to experiment...

Chevette Girl, how much lemon do you use for a lemon JAO? And how does it taste?

We have an orange variety here in the Philippines called dalandan. It's milder and sweeter than your regular variety orange. I'm also thinking of trying that too...

Chevette Girl
05-25-2011, 01:07 AM
For lemon or grapefruit JAO I just substitute in one fruit for the other... again, after the first couple tries, I only use fruit and zest because pith gives me heartburn. I also typically add five or so allspice berries to the cinnamon sticks and 3 old cloves (if they were fresh I'd use one) when I say I used the spices.

I think the first time I did it, I used a lemon in place of the orange because I really don't like oranges very much and also I think that was the batch where I tried decreasing the honey by 1/4 lb and it wasn't what I'd hoped for, just a bit too sour. I did use the spices and they may have contributed to bitterness, would have to check my logs to see if it had pith or not.

I tried lemon-cranberry JAO by subbing in a lemon for the orange and a handful of dried cranberries for the raisins and no other spices, couldn't taste the cranberry at all and it was just a bit too sweet, I think the cranberries weren't enough nutrients for the yeast or maybe I mixed the honey too strong or maybe it needed some bitterness from the spices which I didn't use. I ended up mixing this batch with the too-sour previous lemon variant and they balanced each other nicely.

I did a more successful lemon-date version later where I used a handful of chopped dates instead of the raisins, and it was very nice, mellowed well after a couple of years and the last of it is now gone. I should do this one again :)

Grapefruit JAO wasn't quite what I hoped it would be, I think I'll use the spices next time I try grapefruit. Not bad, just something missing.

I also tried an extra-citrusy version with the spices in early 2010 (I think two oranges and a lemon or something, my notes are two flights of stairs away), but as with all times you void the warranty on JAO, it might not turn out, and this one still hasn't really cleared properly so I haven't tasted it in a while and don't remember what it was like when I racked it after the fruit dropped. Looking at hitting it with some type of fining agent soon.

I did orange with dates and nutmeg and it must've been good cause it's all gone :)

I did a very nice tangelo-vanilla, I didn't like it much at the beginning, something about the vanilla, but it's mellowed absolutely beautifully since 2007... (since I didn't like it when I bottled it, the bottles got shoved to the back of a shelf and safely forgotten about until I rediscovered them when doing inventory before Xmas).

Blood oranges make very pretty JAO. Make sure you use as much rind as you can scrape off though, the fruit has very little flavour of its own :p.

If you've got the space and resources, I'd try one batch with one dalandan and one batch with two if they're that much milder. At worst, one's too sweet and one's too bitter and you mix them together and it's drinkable.

For black currant and black raspberry, I didn't use a whole lot of fruit for those, and I really should have used more, next time I will. Same with the strawberry, although I think juice from half a lemon would have helped the strawberry one more than more fruit. However, my friends with less discerning palates polished it all off so I'll never know :)

Tiny purple ornamental crabapples, about 20 of them, make a really nice JAO variant. Still haven't managed to capture the lovely colour (the first time they kind of dried out before I got to them and the second time they'd been frozen), but the bitter-tart they impart is a great balance for the sweetness.

Green (unripe) apple is... well, odd. Not very apply, a little musty, and I think it'll end up being too sweet despite the tartness of the apples (I think they're macintosh), took a LOOOONG time for the fruit to drop, I tossed it a cinnamon stick after racking because it didn't have much character, and will likely hit it with some acid blend before bottling, and if acidity doesn't do the trick maybe a month or three with a vanilla bean and two years in the cupboard will do it.

I haven't tasted the cactus pear JAO yet nor the Chevette weirdomel (starfruit) but I'll post an update when I do (need to bottle something so I have some carboys free so I can rack them since the fruit's dropped, but I messed up my shoulder last week and I don't think I can hold a racking cane steady with that arm right now so everything's on pause till I can use my arm properly again).

Happy experimenting, and please share your results!

bayne50
08-04-2013, 09:23 AM

After adding he blackberries, did you follow the JAOM recipe as it was written? Just let it sit for the two months, then siphon and bottle? Also how long did you let it sit before it was ready to drink? Thank you, Bayne50

Chevette Girl
08-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Mash the berries, mix with 3.5 lb honey and 1 tsp bread yeast, top up with water, mix well, wait till berries sink at which point it's usually cleared, rack off the berry gunk, bottle, drink. I think it's usually done and clear in 2-3 months.

bayne50
08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the quick response, I'm going to give this a try for sure. Bayne50

bayne50
08-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Chevette Girl: I followed your recipe for the blackberry mead, it has been chugging right along for the past week. Looks like it is going to be a good one. The only thing I did different was to cut the raisins in half before adding them, (I read someplace on the net is was best to do this with the raisins.) I may even give your cranberry mead a try for Thanksgiving. Bayne50

Chevette Girl
08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Truth be told I usually do too (or at least rip into them with my thumbnails as I drop them in). I just always forget to mention it because half the time I forget the raisins altogether... like today's mess (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21743)...

My cranberry JAO was really nice as a mead but not a lot of cranberry going on, if I make it again I plan to double the amount of cranberries.

THawk
08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
When I do blueberry JAO Variants, I never even bother with raisins. Recently, I've also been just using commercial nutrient and energizer. Bread yeast seems to like that better I think.

bayne50
08-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Chevette Girl: Did I miss where you posted your cranberry mead recipe, or have you not posted it? If it is not posted, would you mind doing so, it sounds like it would be good for the up coming Holiday Season. Thanks, Bayne50 (I started your blackberry mead and so far it is going very well.)

Chevette Girl
08-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Here's the brewlog (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16919), I have a cranberry lemon one too, use the advanced search with me as the user name, thread started by me, and cranberry as the search keyword.

Cal
08-18-2013, 01:41 PM
This thread makes me want to break out the fleishmans.

joemirando
08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
This thread makes me want to break out the fleishmans.

Ha! Me too. And I just picked up two pounds of Fleischmann's for four and a half bucks. NOW all I need is the honey. ;)

Joe

Chevette Girl
08-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Honey, that's my problem right about now :p I used my last 3.5 lb jar for my latest weirdomel and I don't know how much more I could scrape together even if I was willing to use it all instead of saving some to backsweeten my three traditionals...

The_Psychotic_One
08-19-2013, 02:42 AM
I decided to do a variant with pineapple about a month ago. My recipe was a simple one:

7 pounds clover honey
2 pounds frozen pineapple cut into small wedges
50 raisins
spring water to top off to 2 gallons
bread yeast

I added no spices of any kind. I figured I'd see what this tastes like first before trying the next one with spices. I'll post the results when it's done. I did not get a starting gravity as I always pour the honey in cold, so it always settles to the bottom. (I let my yeasties work for their meal) :)

ScottBehrens
10-04-2015, 03:27 PM
So JAOM/JAOV, never having actually made one, was interested by the discussions whether it was the pith or the bitterness or the acidity that provided the balance. Thought it may be useful to calculate the weighted acidity of the fruit and try some variants?

Forging ahead, I am a couple weeks into it with a true Orange original, then Lemon, Blackberry, Blueberry, Pineapple, Cranberry. All water, fruits, honey, and yeast were weighed almost to the gram and mixed in identical fermenters, identical water, identical OB honey. Balloons for airlocks. I guess I'll see around new years day.

bmwr75
10-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Look forward to hearing your tasting notes on these 6 JAOM variants @kernel crush.

Chevette Girl
10-14-2015, 11:19 AM
How much fruit did you use in each? I always try to approximate the same acidity as an orange when I make variations, so the lemon and pineapple should be great, I know myself that about 12 oz of blackberries is perfect for me, and I've done cranberry but the amount I used didn't really contribute a lot of flavour so if I did it again I'd use more than .5 lb per gallon. I haven't tried a blueberry JAOv yet. Please do share your results!

ScottBehrens
10-14-2015, 12:48 PM
I will have to check my notes tonite. I know I was more than a little influenced by your blackberry JAOV threads.

ScottBehrens
10-14-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know where my notes went but they are around here somewhere cause I remember writing down everrything. I figured it by the % acid content by fresh weight of the fruit. I know the lemon is a surprisingly small amount and the blueberry is huge

I think it is influenced by the varying sugar content of the fruit (the ones I chose vary from 1 to 13%) as well as the major acid, whether its malic, citric etc. I failed to factor in the sugar but these are all citric content except for the blackberry.

I wedged the lemon and orange, lightly mashed the blackberry and pineapple, and crunched the cranberry and blueberry.

ScottBehrens
10-15-2015, 06:16 PM
Orange 174 g (6.21 oz)
Lemon 42 g (1.5 oz)
Pineapple 190 g (6.78 oz)
Blueberry 700 g (25 oz)
Cranberry 70 g (2.5 oz)
Blackberry 140 g (5 oz)

The blueberry should be interesting with 11% sugar .3 % acid.

If I was doing it again I would titrate the juices for a starting point. My acid test kit hadn't arrived yet.

ScottBehrens
11-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Ive seen a few posts talk about its ready when the fruit drops, but Joe says

If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready.

Seems redundant to ask the ask the question now but 4 of 6 are crystal clear at 6 weeks or so. Not much experience yet with JAOM. Should I rack or hold them?

bwalker187
11-17-2015, 12:10 PM
Chevette Girl, I realize I'm asking about a post from a few years ago, but I'm interested in your crabapple recipe. You mentioned that you used 20 or so small apples? How much apple flavor (vs just tartness) came through in the end? I just found a crabapple tree near my house and I'd love to use the apples!

Kelulu
11-25-2015, 02:02 AM
I've done both a lemon and a grapefruit JAOM and both turned out well. I used one sliced lemon (disposed of thick rind ends) and substituted 2 anise stars for the cinnamon. Was good, got better with age. The grapefruit version used Joe's recipe exactly but substituted one really sweet ruby red for the orange. It was very good.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

mannye
11-26-2015, 09:33 PM
Chevette Girl, I realize I'm asking about a post from a few years ago, but I'm interested in your crabapple recipe. You mentioned that you used 20 or so small apples? How much apple flavor (vs just tartness) came through in the end? I just found a crabapple tree near my house and I'd love to use the apples!

I'm a big fan of tart in a JAO. The regular recipe is a bit too sweet for me and what I'm tasting in the Meyer lemon batch so far is fantastic. Finding that balance transforms JAO from a "foolproof beginner mead" into a masterpiece.

Steed
11-27-2015, 07:20 PM
i have heather tips elderflowers irish moss and oak chips.... would any of these have a good impact on a brew of JAOM?

mannye
11-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Theres only one sure way to find out!

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Steed
11-28-2015, 12:59 AM
i guess so but i think instead of adding brewing supplies il go exotic and make a batch with pomogranite instead of all oranges

Wingnut
12-12-2015, 03:01 AM
I've made 3 batches of the JAOM and they are the only batches that have turned out so well that they got refill requests by friends and family.
Most recent batch I tried with Blood Oranges. I just substituted. Everything else was the same. Great color, great smell but it was very hot. High in alcohol and the flavor reflected this.
Its been aging in the secondary for awhile and has mellowed somewhat but still very "hot" in flavor.
I have no theory as to why this is.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

mihrcke
12-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Wingnut - on the recent Blood Orange batch - what size batch, what yeast did you use, and how much honey?

Wingnut
12-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Wingnut - on the recent Blood Orange batch - what size batch, what yeast did you use, and how much honey?
Ok,
Here is the details:
3 gal batch
10 lbs. Clover honey
2pkgs 71B-1122 ( made a starter 2 days in advance)
6 medium blood oranges ( 2 were spliced and the other 4 were juiced)
Raisins ( just 5)
2 lg stick of cinnamon
3 whole cloves
A pinch of nutmeg
DAP, Go Ferm and FermAid K
OG was 1.120
SG was 1.002
I calculate that to be roughly 14% ABV

mihrcke
12-14-2015, 11:39 AM
I can't directly speak to how hot it tastes, but it could just be that it is dry. If your preference is sweet mead, and it's dry, I think you may perceive the dryness as hot...that's what happens to me I think - on a BOMM.

Wingnut
01-21-2016, 01:20 AM
I can't directly speak to how hot it tastes, but it could just be that it is dry. If your preference is sweet mead, and it's dry, I think you may perceive the dryness as hot...that's what happens to me I think - on a BOMM.
I am for trying anything. After I pulled another sample ( it is still in a 3 gal carboy) and trying it again, my wife thinks you might be on to something. We were expecting the warming type of alcohol flavor or feel. Cognac like, I guess. This is like a shot of cheap vodka......somewhat milder.
Going to try a small bit of back sweetening and see how it goes.
Thanks for the input.

Monkey101
01-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Howdy all,

My Lemon batch is 28 days old today, it is looking great, smells better than it looks. I am starting my 3 gallon batch of vanilla bean JAOV tonight. And tomorrow my 1 gallon blood orange.

Anyone else doing any other cool combos?

Squatchy
01-27-2017, 10:10 PM
Howdy all,

My Lemon batch is 28 days old today, it is looking great, smells better than it looks. I am starting my 3 gallon batch of vanilla bean JAOV tonight. And tomorrow my 1 gallon blood orange.

Anyone else doing any other cool combos?

Hi Monkey and welcome to the forum. Stick around here, it's a great place. It's best to start a new thread instead of resurrecting and ancient post with tones of data to drag around :)

mannye
01-29-2017, 09:51 PM
I like to mix them up after they are done. Orange with lemon and so on. Those three sound great. You should try blending them after they finish. I like to wait 100 days (just 10 more than three months) until the fruit falls and it's looking crystal clear.

Ken2029
01-31-2017, 10:18 AM
I have made 5 gallons of Chevette Girl's Blackberry JAO and I can attest to its excellence.

Wingnut
02-04-2017, 12:58 AM
I am for trying anything. After I pulled another sample ( it is still in a 3 gal carboy) and trying it again, my wife thinks you might be on to something. We were expecting the warming type of alcohol flavor or feel. Cognac like, I guess. This is like a shot of cheap vodka......somewhat milder.
Going to try a small bit of back sweetening and see how it goes.
Thanks for the input.

So fast forward, just bottled the batch referenced here in this thread. Time has indeed mellowed this batch. I didn't' back-sweeten as I originally stated. It is still a bit strong but it is very drinkable. I would do this again but I would watch the ABV and adjust accordingly.
Good discussion! Thanks all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk