• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Aging question

Barrel Char Wood Products

fathand

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2009
Warren, Michigan
I guess I am full of questions that I think I know the answer to today, but here it goes....

When it is said that mead needs around a year to mature and really meld into its full potential is that a year from when the batch is brewed or is that a year in the bottle?

I suspect that the answer to this is that each batch of mead is different so it really depends of the individual mead, as some might not really shine until 2 years.

Nonetheless where do you consider the starting point of maturation?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Yeah, you pretty much nailed it, depends on that batch. I've made meads that are pretty decent at 5-6 months, but boy did they end up far far better after a year.

Generally I count age from time of fermentation not bottling. I think wine makers do the same.

The other reason for this is because mead is fundamentally different than wine, in that wine is fermented once a year (other than made from kits/frozen must anyways), but mead can be started any time.

If you have a wine from 2009 from the north half of the world, you know how old it is. Same if it's from the south - but mead from 2009 could vary in age by an entire year, as such I always include the month.

So, to sort-of answer your question, when I started making mead I considered it bottling time after 4-6 months. Now that I know better from personal experience, I shoot for closer to a year. Recipes with a lot of tannin, alcohol or oak may need much longer to reach their potential.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I record and count my aging from the pitch date. I'm always sure when that is - I'm not always sure when fermentation is finished. My fermentations usually don't take more than 1-3 weeks, so we aren't talking about a lot of time.

From the pitch date, whether in bulk or in bottle, all the time is accounted for, and yes, some meads do take longer than a year.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I didn't know for sure how it was "supposed to be done" when I started making wines, so I got in the habit of listing the start date and the bottled date on my labels... at least this way I don't have to go into my logs to tell you how long it was bulk-aged :)

I've not myself made a mead that was harmed with age but years ago before I started making my own, I used to trade for a bottle of a friend's homebrewed mead every year, and I found his were pretty raw until about 9 months, but I let one go for over a year and it wasn't as good as the others had been - it was a dry maple mead, now I know why :) and it probably had very little to do with its age...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns